First post and is CAFU for me?

General discussion of current events, conversations with other board members, etc.
Asimov
First post and is CAFU for me?

Post by Asimov » 2016-08-15, 01:05

Hi all,

This is my first post. I haven't installed Cafu yet, just downloaded it. I am using windows 10.

I have just spent 8months playing with the irrlicht engine. It works to a point, but there are some serious flaws in normalmap rendering, and so I am looking around for another engine to try. Yes there is Unity but I don't want to pay the huge costs for selling my game as I am planning a small game.

I have watched a few Cafu youtube vids, but none of them show the programming side of the engine, so I have a few questions.

My question is, can I program in C++ with this engine, as I don't know Lua at all?

Is the script editor built in or do I have to install Codeblocks or visual studio or something to use it?

Where can I find some really good programming tutorials for the engine?

The last part is most important. I find there are a lot of good engines about, but tutorials on the programming side are always sparse. So far I have yet to find a good tutorial on programming Cafu on youtube.

I know C++ pretty well, but there is always engine specific code that you need.

Anyway I am not sure if the engine is right for me at this time, but if you can help me in the right direction it would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance
Asimov
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: First post and is CAFU for me?

Post by Carsten » 2016-08-16, 16:04

Hi Asimov,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Asimov wrote:My question is, can I program in C++ with this engine, as I don't know Lua at all?
Yes. Cafu is written in C++, so you can program in C++ with it. Lua scripting is easy though, and definitely a recommended resource.
Is the script editor built in or do I have to install Codeblocks or visual studio or something to use it?
Please see IDEs and Text Editors.
Where can I find some really good programming tutorials for the engine?
Well, all that we have it at http://docs.cafu.de/
If you're programming C++, you must read the source code anyway.
I know C++ pretty well, but there is always engine specific code that you need.
Yes, that's quite natural, isn't it? ;-)
Best regards,
Carsten