Interesting (free) conference software

General discussion of current events, conversations with other board members, etc.
Kai
Interesting (free) conference software

Post by Kai » 2006-05-15, 23:06

How many of us have wanted to be able to *show* somebody what we're talking about when explaining new functionality in a webpage, or in some other IT related system? That's the problem solved by Vyew - it lets you show files, and most crucially your desktop in real time to a group of people. Here's the kicker - it does it without needing any software installed - it's all done with either Java or Flash, and it's free.

The most amazing aspect (to me) is that people in the virtual meeting can take up drawing tools and scribble on what you're showing to help illustrate what they are talking about. That's just inspired.

Think about it - if you combine this with Skype or Google Talk, you have a full web conference solution for free

Try it here
http://vyew.com
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-05-16, 08:21

Sounds cool! But will we use it? Maybe it needs high Hardware requirements. :shock:

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-05-16, 11:28

No its not that much of a hardware eater (since its not something like a videocast) ^^

Think of it as "virtual desktop" that can be shared between different people. Its a snapshot, made by the owner of the desktop, but you can invite people to a) take a sneak on text or image documents etc or b) you can promote other users and give them more activity.

The mouse cursor is not broadcastet but you can sketch things in or use a pointer.
Very cool thing: The desktop(room) is hosted on the vywer server, so you don't need to be online the whole time ! so far the sapce is only 25 mb, but i think its more than enough so far ;)
You can let the "door" open or lock the room if you go offline, so other may or may not be able to look at the virtual desktop.

Here is the explanation of vywer main features (Screencapturing and desktop sharing)
Screen capture is a single screenshot that allows you to incorporate a single screenshot of your desktop into your VyewBook, for documenting and annotating. Real-time Desktop Sharing allows for constant broadcast of your desktop to all meeting participants. If you want to annotate over a real-time desktop broadcast, you must pause it.

Will we use it ?
Well, this is up to every one individualy. For example i found myself more than once in the situation to point out something, but without a sketch it was nearly impossible to explain to Carsten. We used a paintchat, quite simple but it worked.
But this is a lot more advanced, and i would use it to stack ideas or images for the development.

Since everyone can have is own room, this is really everyones "conference" room, if needed, filled with individual stuff ;)
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-05-16, 21:59

Well, i think that the standard Internet communication (Forum, IRC etc.) is enough. More way's would just complicate everything.

But it would be cool, if we make some sort of development journal. A Blog with things (even crap :P ) about the development of Ca3DE and the TD. I had this idea because ive found it stupid, that the rest of the user (when there is one...) couldnt share in the development. For example, you can post some things about the new Material Viewer. No'one, except us, knows about it. But it is a very cool tool. Because no one is knowing about it, no one will be happy for it.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^