DirectX vs. OpenGL

General discussion of current events, conversations with other board members, etc.
Thunderbird
DirectX vs. OpenGL

Post by Thunderbird » 2010-01-09, 22:32

hi folks
not meaning to start a flame war, but if you're still all-DX, this might be a worthwhile read:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you ... ot-DirectX

:cheesy: :wink:
Thrawn

Re: DirectX vs. OpenGL

Post by Thrawn » 2010-01-10, 11:53

Hey, nice article,

of course CaFu runs on OpenGL ;-)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-01-10, 18:01

Hi Thunderbird,
and welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome1:

Hehe... The article is great: to a large degree, it reflects my opinion as well. :cheesy:

But for completeness, let me add that Cafu is graphics and sound API agnostic / independent: The MatSys and renderers can be implemented with any API, and although we have only provided OpenGL implementations in the past, we acknowledge that DirectX is important as well, and will certainly provide a DirectX-implemented Cafu renderers in the future. :up:

Thanks for posting the link!
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-22, 10:12

Hi Johnston54,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

Yes, yours are valid points. To me it looks as if the latest versions of OpenGL and directX are quasi on par today, plus or minus a few details. Note that we have a DirectX 11 renderer on our roadmap as well. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2011-11-22, 20:43

I think you should concentrate on OpenGL simply for the sake of it being multiplatform, D3D11 would be nice, but it only works on Windows, thomas and you getting OGL3.2 working would be more beneficial since that is portable to Linux/BSD/Windows/MacOS/andothers modernizing the engine graphically across the board.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-22, 23:48

Yes, portability is certainly one of the main advantages of OpenGL.
Being portable, i.e. independent from any platform or vendor, has always been one of the main goals and features of Cafu. Thus our work will remain focused around the OpenGL renderers, but a DirectX renderer would complement them very well, both for marketing as well as for proof of code design. And I'm not sure if OpenGL is supported on the XBox. ;-)
Best regards,
Carsten
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2011-11-23, 08:21

Carsten wrote:And I'm not sure if OpenGL is supported on the XBox. ;-)
I haven't looked in a long time, but I believe it does have at least full 2.1 support, not nearly as well optimized as D3D on it, not surprising.
The PS3 uses OpenGL ES 2.0, which is pretty ancient and has a bunch of extra features stuck on... not a very dev friendly platform, although lots of potential.

The GPUs which are going to be put in the next generation of consoles are based on architectures which support OpenGL 4.x, so I would be surprised if they didn't at least have 3.2 support.
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2012-04-12, 16:35

DirectX has better rendering and more features than OpenGL (even older version DirectX is a complete API where you can programming not only graphics) unfortunately the most important feature on OpenGL is the portability, anyway Cafu can include DX but only for windows systems and OpenGL can be used on Linux or Mac (I hope the Mac OS X version will be available some day)

anyway I hope OpenGL can include more features in the future...
Simón Carreño AKA Scorphame.
Leader & Game Designer at HeXentic Games
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-12, 22:03

Scorphame wrote:DirectX has better rendering and more features than OpenGL
You cannot compare DirectX and OpenGL.
You can compare Direct3D and OpenGL.
anyway Cafu can include DX but only for windows systems and OpenGL can be used on Linux or Mac (I hope the Mac OS X version will be available some day)
Why should we do that if OpenGL on Windows is just as powerful?
anyway I hope OpenGL can include more features in the future...
Such as?

;-)
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2012-04-13, 00:33

wow yea this is a war between OpenGL and DirectX (specific Direct 3D)

Anyway I'm just saying, is not obligatory change the render in Windows to DirectX, OpenGL is powerfull to but I guess the most part of AAA titles uses DirectX (graphics)

anyway I guess I lost this battle :/
Simón Carreño AKA Scorphame.
Leader & Game Designer at HeXentic Games