IRC Chat Idea

General discussion of current events, conversations with other board members, etc.
Scorphame
IRC Chat Idea

Post by Scorphame » 2011-01-22, 23:06

Hello People

Well I know that his community has a good number of persons interested on develop games and other stuff with Cafu Engine... My idea is make a IRC chat channel where we can discuss and talk more directly without waiting answers at the forum, I'm not purposing close the forum in fact I love it and is really needed, but for some little questions we can discuss and make some solutions for them... The big and medium questions (like adding new features, modify physics, creating new style of code or something like that) can be discussed on the IRC Chat.

The server that I suggest is irc.OFTC.net (open and free technologies, Good place for Open Source teams and communities)

Bye and think in this idea
Simón Carreño AKA Scorphame.
Leader & Game Designer at HeXentic Games
volto

Re: IRC Chat Idea

Post by volto » 2011-01-23, 11:35

Hi Scorphame,
i think thats a way to improve the evolution of Cafu but i think thats not posible to make for the developer Team then the Time to work with IRC ist posibility only after the work schedule and thats not all then the most hobby Programmer do only work on ther Projekts after this Time and in the Professional Programmer World is it Posible to work with other methods of Communication....

The only solution to Use IRC or other Mediums are Conference over the Net, but the work schedule of the Most Programmers are equal in Europe and after work (wenn the Projekt schedule make it not posible to Finish at time to Listen at the Conference) are ther only the Hobby Programmer aviable and the have Posible the Most Ideas but to make Cafu efficient ther the Professionals irreplaceable.

MfG volto
volto

Post by volto » 2011-01-23, 12:18

My Idea to improve the evolution is a Webbased Project Planner,
the Changes are Requed to a Specific time based on the Change Topic are the Users to make the Requed Changes Real then the Communication and Source changes are to Post in this Planner wenn two Users have made the same Changes then the more effective change are taken to the next Dev Release.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-23, 15:14

Hi Scorphame,
Scorphame wrote:Well I know that his community has a good number of persons interested on develop games and other stuff with Cafu Engine... My idea is make a IRC chat channel where we can discuss and talk more directly without waiting answers at the forum, I'm not purposing close the forum in fact I love it and is really needed, but for some little questions we can discuss and make some solutions for them... The big and medium questions (like adding new features, modify physics, creating new style of code or something like that) can be discussed on the IRC Chat.
Well, while I'm certainly open for establishing an "official" Cafu Engine IRC channel, I'm personally also somewhat skeptical to it's use:
For many questions asked per forum, mailing-list, personal email or elsewise, I or someone else needs to undertake a certain effort to come up with an answer:
  • understand the original problem,
  • possibly research the issue (read source codes, reproduce, debug, ...),
  • come up with and implement a solution,
  • possibly test and validate the solution,
  • reply with and possibly explain the details.
Doing all this both frequently and efficiently is difficult in live chat, because it interrupts the work I was doing when not monitoring the chat (which is really troublesome if it happens frequently), and usually doesn't allow for organizing or postponing the work until the next day or until other work is done.
Forum and/or the mailing-list is much better in this regard, as it is free of these problems and thus allows for thorough and efficient processing.

Nevertheless, I'm positive on re-viving the official Cafu engine channel, just please don't expect me to monitor it all the time, or to participate actively (but I'll certainly happily do if I see that for solving a specific problem a live chat works best).
The server that I suggest is irc.OFTC.net (open and free technologies, Good place for Open Source teams and communities)
Do they have a definition of their terms or policy somewhere?
An alternative I'm aware of is http://freenode.net, their policy page is at http://freenode.net/policy.shtml#ontopic
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2011-01-23, 20:28

Freenode is good too...

the privacy of oftc is here: http://www.oftc.net/oftc/Constitution#NetworkPolicy
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2011-01-23, 21:49

well reading more carefully the posts... I know that the staff has own works, has personal life and other things... but I'm not saying that the staff must be connected all the time, is sufficient even 2 or 3 times per week (even 1 is good too), at the moment I have the time, in fact ill go to the university this year and that will demand a lot of time.
but some questions can be answered for other developers who makes something with Cafu.

Anyways I guess that Freenode is a good server... I will make the channel and the people interested can join.

EDIT: irc.freenode.com #Cafu
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-23, 23:15

Scorphame wrote:EDIT: irc.freenode.com #Cafu
Is the .com part right?

I guess this direct link should work:
irc://irc.freenode.net/cafu
Best regards,