Good engine for what we need?

General discussion of current events, conversations with other board members, etc.
Chromeozone
Good engine for what we need?

Post by Chromeozone » 2011-06-26, 01:12

Hello Cafu devs:D

I am Steven Reynolds from Ultimanium Gaming creating a 3D MMORPG.

This will be a Pirate MMORPG.

Would this engine/server be good for what we are trying to achieve or is this for deathmatch.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Good engine for what we need?

Post by Carsten » 2011-06-26, 10:12

Hi Steven,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Would this engine/server be good for what we are trying to achieve or is this for deathmatch.
Please see Is Cafu right for our game of genre "..."? in the Developer FAQ. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2011-06-26, 14:10

I'm playing around with Cafu and seriously considering using it over Unreal(UDK) because I get source access and don't have to be restricted by Epic's licensing.

As an open world MMO engine it's pretty useless and would need to be extensively reworked for that, but because my concept is a matrix of instances strung together the only challenge is tying in a database so player data is stored when they log in and out(whoo account system) and while going from one instance to another.

My only worry is can Cafu handle up to 60 players per instance... Have only tried 8 clients and it ran problem free. No database or account system yet... just starting to put in a simple permissions system so admins can use god/noclip/slay/kick/ban, mods can god/kick/slay, and regular users can't do any of that.
Don't even have any game mechanics in place... or animations... just models, sketches, doodles and textures.

So, as far as I can tell there's only a few things troubling me; map compiler is single-threaded.
Lighting(dynamic and baking) needs some work; terrain, static model baking, light control(area/point/spot/projection with a visual in cawe).

No vehicle support is a challenge, don't know how to get that working on my own, wish there were 2 base examples, hovercraft and 2+ axle vehicle, gotta read how to use Bullet, doesn't seem to be very integrated in Cafu... maybe that stuff comes with the new model suite; scaling, hitbox control, mass, centre of gravity, material type... the brushes also need a material type to be defined in the cmats, so metal, wood, concrete, ice, have different properties like all modern engines have.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-06-28, 09:56

Hi HWGuy,
HWGuy wrote:So, as far as I can tell there's only a few things troubling me; map compiler is single-threaded.
Lighting(dynamic and baking) needs some work; terrain, static model baking, light control(area/point/spot/projection with a visual in cawe).

No vehicle support is a challenge, [...]
Your points are good ones. If you have specific questions about them, please ask. Most of these points are also listed on our big Project Ideas list. As always, I'd much appreciate any questions about and especially help with implementing them. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten