2000-12-24 Project name change

News about the Cafu Engine. Subscribe to the related ImageCafu News feed to stay informed.
Carsten
Site Admin
2000-12-24 Project name change

Post by Carsten » 2008-01-15, 13:13

First of all, I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

As you have surely noticed, my 3D engine's title abbreviation (formerly "Ca3D") has been changed to Ca3DE. A few weeks ago, someone advised me that "Ca3D" is already his registered trademark. As such, I am not allowed to use it any more.
"Ca3D" was just a composition of my first name and the "3D" suffix. I agreed to change the name and we compromised on Ca3DE. It will do for the time being.

I am currently considering another name change before autumn 2001, in order to register the new name as a trademark of my own, and to finally clean up the nomenclature used for the tool programs that accompany Ca3DE. Please note that Ca3DE is the project's official new name. The executable files will retain their old names (CaBSP, Ca3Dgl, CaDS, Ca3DClnt and so on) until the big change in 2001.

In the meantime, I am continuing the development of the client / server approach. Things are evolving nicely, and I have just had the first multiplayer session running here (albeit quite a simple one). In addition to other small features and fixes, I am doing my best to make a networking demo available soon. I don't expect this can be done before March or April 2001, due to the more difficult setup required, and because of some legal issues concerning the
Ca3DE client which first need to be clarified.