2001-08-31 Improved code architecture and network code

News about the Cafu Engine. Subscribe to the related ImageCafu News feed to stay informed.
Carsten
Site Admin
2001-08-31 Improved code architecture and network code

Post by Carsten » 2008-01-15, 13:38

For those who find it inconvenient to download the large 12.3 MB file, I'll offer a smaller demo, in addition to the regular one, with the next release. It will only contain one map (instead of nine), but will be in all other respects equivalent to the full version. File size will then certainly be able to be kept below 2 MB - a file size much more friendly to people with convential dial-up internet connections.

The release of the current version (August 2001), finally allows me to abandon much of the old code: the non-networked standalone version Ca3Dgl, the dedicated server CaDS, and the test client Ca3DClnt, are all replaced by the new universal Ca3DE program. It fulfills the role of all of its predecessors, and exceeds them in that it will also run the single player mode via the local hosts network.
I am currently reviewing the code architecture: this has become necessary in order to make the existing code cleaner, and to more easily handle future improvements in the network coding (i.e. I want to make sure that delta compression and client prediction are among the new features in the coming network release).
Ca3DE uses UDP/IP for all its networking purposes. It also implements its reliable message channel via UDP, using a packet numbering scheme.