Its NEW features (since the previous release) include
- a completely new Material System,
- the new Ca3DE World Editor "CaWE",
- support for curved surfaces (Bezier patches),
- an importer for the "ase" model file format,
- discrete level-of-detail support for model rendering,
- and the presentation of Spherical Harmonic Lighting in my diploma thesis.
Being included with the development kit, it is available both for the Windows and Linux platforms. Its easy-to-use user interface was modelled along the paradigms of other well-known mapping editors, so that it is easy to learn for beginners and at the same time assists experts.
The introduction of the new Material System was a great leap forward both in code design and user involvement: All surface materials are now defined in easy to write scripts. Mappers or texture artists may modify, augment or repair their materials even while Ca3DE is running!
The Material System handles all rendering of Ca3DE and is designed to be implemented on virtually anything:
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, MacOS, Pocket PC, Palm, DOS, ...
- APIs: OpenGL 1.2-2.0, DirectX 7-9, Cg, GLSL, software renderers, ...
- Hardware: NVidia, ATI, 3Dlabs, consoles, ...
A detailed list of the Ca3D-Engine features is available here.