Upgrading to wxWidgets 2.9

News about the Cafu Engine. Subscribe to the related ImageCafu News feed to stay informed.
Carsten
Site Admin
Upgrading to wxWidgets 2.9

Post by Carsten » 2009-10-12, 20:29

As most of you already know, the Cafu World Editor "CaWE" comprises all our graphical editing tools like the map editor, the GUI editor, the font wizard, the material editor, and (soon) the model editor.

CaWE, and thus all its editors, employs the wxWidgets library for its graphical user interface, which makes our code easy to write, easy to maintain, and - very importantly - portable across many platforms: With a single code base, CaWE looks and feels like (in fact, it is) a native application on Windows, Linux, and (soon) Mac OS X.
As the latest 2.9 version series has recently been released, we've spend some quality time on migrating to the latest version. You can read in detail about the new features of the latest series in the wxWidgets changelog.txt. We especially benefit from the integrated and improved AUI (advanced user interface) classes, the Unicode support, the new event binding, and many enhancements in the wxGTK component. In addition to all the new and improved features, as a nice and free side effect we also got a simpler and faster build system and a more correct linking strategy under Linux. :D
Best regards,
Carsten
Stephen

Re: Upgrading to wxWidgets 2.9

Post by Stephen » 2009-10-13, 16:38

I'm looking forward to a Mac OS X version - I spend most of my computing time on my Macbook these days. It's quite a nice platform to develop for too.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-10-16, 10:52

Yes, Mac OS X is a great platform! We know many users who are or have become Mac users "for life", and we also get many requests for Cafu on Mac OS.
Will keep you up-to-date! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Stephen

Post by Stephen » 2009-10-18, 15:47

When is the next version of the engine coming? I'd love to see some screenshots of the new vegetation stuff!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-10-20, 09:50

Yep, we've already completed many parts in the pipeline (i.e., the workflow), and I hope to be able to provide first screen-shots and the release soon!
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten