Cafu Engine used in university game project

News about the Cafu Engine. Subscribe to the related ImageCafu News feed to stay informed.
Carsten
Site Admin
Cafu Engine used in university game project

Post by Carsten » 2012-03-27, 20:26

A group of currently 13 students (and growing) at the University of Applied Science of Ingolstadt is using the Cafu Engine for developing a game project in the course of their computer science lectures.

Their goal is to create a platform independent MMORPG whose gameplay does not involve gun battles, but requires the player to make economic decisions to win.

The project uses high-definition textures and is set in a medieval architecture, thanks to a texture artist and a map architect among the group members.

The project team is currently negotiation a sponsoring contract with EPOS CAT GmbH in Ingolstadt.
Best regards,
Carsten
HWGuy

Re: Cafu Engine used in university game project

Post by HWGuy » 2012-03-28, 10:05

Good to hear another big Cafu project is on the way.

I hope they sign up on the forum to talk, I'd love my game to be MMO-scaled but lack the manpower to make it that big, I have a guy working on a new network lib which has the power, but Cafu itself isn't being drastically changed to have the power for that.
Haimi

Post by Haimi » 2012-03-28, 11:51

HWGuy wrote:I hope they sign up on the forum to talk
Part of us are already signed up in the forum :) We will try make our changes in the engine as flexible as possible, to make them includable into the CaFU sources.
Project Status: Code architecture definition
6 Programmers, 1 Photographer, 1 Architect, 1 Game designer
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2012-03-28, 12:29

Haimi wrote:
HWGuy wrote:I hope they sign up on the forum to talk
Part of us are already signed up in the forum :) We will try make our changes in the engine as flexible as possible, to make them includable into the CaFU sources.
Ah, it's YOU.
Haha, well, as I've mentioned earlier, I've got someone looking into a new network lib which will bring ipv6 support to cafu, as well as several other things pluggable, encryption, compression, and a simple user system which would be tied into the game.

As for the new renderer, well that will come after rudimentary VBO support is added.

Since you're making a financial game I assume you're already into improving the UI and adding an inventory system, which could be joined to the network lib which would hand over a key once people connect to the server so they can access their stuff.