Skybox won't work

Discuss artwork in all of its forms here, from level design to GUI button themes. New MODs planning, work-in-progress and other samples are welcome in this forum as well.
MrToys
Skybox won't work

Post by MrToys » 2007-05-01, 12:41

Hi everybody,

First I want to say that it's really great that you provide a free 3d engine! 8)

I tried to add a skybox to my world, but it will only show black... I did exactly what the wiki told me to do. I tried it with a few different textures, it turned out that all "usable" textures won't work (Textures/Skydomes/...), but other textures will work.
How is this possible?

Screenshots:
- With Textures/Skydomes/PK_Autumn
- With Textures/WilliH/rock01b

Although I have worked with 3d editors before, I'm a complete newby to Ca3d. So I'm probably doing something very stupid :D

EDIT: I tried "3D Edit Mats" instead of "3D Full Mats", and I can see the texture now (but: tiled, not streched...) - It won't show up when I compile everything.

EDIT 2: The tiled-thing is solved.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Skybox won't work

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-01, 14:08

Hi MrToys,

welcome to the Ca3DE forums! :welcome:
MrToys wrote:First I want to say that it's really great that you provide a free 3d engine! 8)
Thanks, nice to hear that! :)
I tried to add a skybox to my world, but it will only show black... I did exactly what the wiki told me to do.

[...]

EDIT: I tried "3D Edit Mats" instead of "3D Full Mats", and I can see the texture now (but: tiled, not streched...) - It won't show up when I compile everything.

EDIT 2: The tiled-thing is solved.
Okay, did you eventually solve the problem, or is there still something that doesn't work? (Sorry, I'm not quite sure because of your two EDITs.)
If everything is solved, could you please let us know what the problem was, and the solution? Then we could update the Wiki at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/mapping: ... orials:sky (if this is what you were referring to), helping others by improving the text... :thanks:
Best regards,
Carsten
MrToys

Post by MrToys » 2007-05-01, 19:17

I can see it in the editor, but when having it compiled the sky is totally black :(
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-01, 20:55

Hi, okay, two questions about that:
Best regards,
Carsten
MrToys

Post by MrToys » 2007-05-01, 21:56

I'm downloading the last one now.

On the inside it's black too (and yes, i did hollow the block).
I don't know if this is normal, but Ca3D is only able to use OpenGl for rendering, is that ok? (i really don't know if it has anything to do with is, but it shows "FAILED" when trying to load those other renderers, and that sounds bad :) )

Hopefully I get better results with the latest version, we'll see.
MrToys

Post by MrToys » 2007-05-01, 22:31

no luck, i tried the new version, but it's still the same problem
why do normal textures work, but skydomes not?
MrToys

Post by MrToys » 2007-05-01, 23:39

Maybe the cause of my skybox problem is the same as another problem I have. I can't run the TechDemo.

Here the output of the console:

Code: Select all

Ca3D-Engine, Mar  6 2007
Sorry, this is not yet implemented.
Registering archive "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/TechDemo.zip".
Registering archive "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip".
Scanning ../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem for all available render
ers...
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererARBprogs.dll ... FAILED - renderer says it's not supported.
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererCgARB1.dll ... FAILED - renderer says it's not supported.
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererCgNV2X.dll ... FAILED - renderer says it's not supported.
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererNull.dll ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12.dll ... SUCCESS - first supported renderer (Pref# 1000).
Reloading previously auto-selected renderer ../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12.dll ...
Initializing server...
Warning: Lua script "Games/DeathMatch/Worlds/TechDemo.lua" could not be loaded
(cannot open Games/DeathMatch/Worlds/TechDemo.lua: No such file or directory).
OK

Connecting to localhost (127.0.0.1:30000)
(timeout 8.0 seconds)...
The first error is with dwwin.exe (application error, can't initialize the application correctly. Click OK to close the application.)
Then an error with Ca3DE.exe shows up (unknown software exception (0x40000015) on location 0x0619a1be)

I don't know if the errors are correctly translated, they show up in Dutch (my system language).

I tested the TechDemo with display depth 16 bpp and low texture detail. (the worst you can get :) )
I also tested another level (AEonsCanyonTower), that one worked well until I trew a grenade, when it started to explode the game crashed.

If it hasn't got anything to do with my original problem I'll post this somewhere else in the forum, but my highest priority is the skydome problem.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-02, 10:45

Hi MrToys,

thanks for posting the console output - that helps a lot to help. ;)

First, the messages with "FAILED" are not a problem by themselves, they just say that a certain renderer variant was autodetected to not work on your system. The OpenGL12 renderer works fine though, and is therefore loaded with the engine ("Reloading previously auto-selected renderer...").

However, the fact that only OpenGL12 is supported on your computer indicates that either there is a problem with your OpenGL driver, and/or that your 3D graphics board is pretty old. (By the way: which OS do you use? WinXP? WinVista?)
If your board is relatively new, you should make sure (e.g. by reinstalling) that the graphcis driver is the latest and works right. If it is old, OpenGL12 is the only and proper choice.
MrToys wrote:I can't run the TechDemo.
What exactly does that mean? What shows on the screen? Any error messages?

Code: Select all

Warning: Lua script "Games/DeathMatch/Worlds/TechDemo.lua" could not be loaded
(cannot open Games/DeathMatch/Worlds/TechDemo.lua: No such file or directory).
Not a problem either.
The first error is with dwwin.exe (application error, can't initialize the application correctly. Click OK to close the application.)
Then an error with Ca3DE.exe shows up (unknown software exception (0x40000015) on location 0x0619a1be)
Uh.... What is dwwin.exe? (It is not a component of the Ca3D-Engine, but seems to have a problem that in turn causes the subsequent error in Ca3DE.)
I also tested another level (AEonsCanyonTower), that one worked well until I trew a grenade, when it started to explode the game crashed.
The fact that it works at all (e.g. in AEonsCanyonTower) is a good sign, but please let me know what is different when you run the TechDemo map instead. The crash when a grenade explodes indicates that something is unusual about your system (yours is the first report ever about such problems... so I don't believe the problem is caused by Ca3DE).
If it hasn't got anything to do with my original problem I'll post this somewhere else in the forum, but my highest priority is the skydome problem.
I just re-checked the code, and I think that the problem is that your system as-is supports OpenGL 1.2, but not the ARB_texture_cube_map OpenGL extension. The OpenGL12 renderer uses this extension to render skydomes when available, and just does nothing when it is not available (thus the black result).
Therefore, please lets check first if your system is bound to OpenGL12 for good or bad. If we can do better, this will also fix the skydome problem, otherwise (OpenGL 1.2 with only a minimum of extensions available) there is no quick solution for the sky problem.
Best regards,
Carsten