Some new ideas

Discuss artwork in all of its forms here, from level design to GUI button themes. New MODs planning, work-in-progress and other samples are welcome in this forum as well.
Kai
Some new ideas

Post by Kai » 2009-01-23, 23:32

Hi everyone,
it been a while , but i'm constantly visiting the forum.

A friend of mine who works here had a nice idea for a gamemod.
I know that creating a NEW mod requires alot of efford and its by no mean that i would say to do it exactly like that (besides its only an idea)
However i guess it may be a nice idea to think about offering something else beside the fps mod.

The idea is aiming for a survival strategy game, turnbased maybe.
Ill post his quote here,( thx Paul for letting me do this :) )

i wish someone would make a game like this...
Zombie Holocaust
no health bars
no experience points
no levels of advancement
no monetary system
no cliques/guilds/tribes/clans

Players can only play as human. Never as zombies.
Zombie Holocaust is about grim human survival and

TEAMPLAY.

Every player has the same three basic skill types: wide perception (for finding things, noticing zombies), focused perception (for aiming, shooting, throwing, hammering, etc), panic level (for keeping cool).

These skills are all interconnected and governed by their panic level.

Proximity Bonus:
To insure team play, a player's skills receive a bonus by being in close proximity to each other. A lone player is the weakest player. Two players together double their skills (perception, aim, panic control, etc), but this also attracts more zomibes as they can literally smell the accumulated human brains.

Think of the proximity as being like the fog of war common to real-time strategy games. Each character has a sphere that grows or shrinks depending on whether they are in wide perception or focused.

Communication:
Chat is a big part of the game and is governed by proximity. You can chat with another character you are physically near, but as you move away your chat text literally fades away.

Game World:
the world is based on a small town near a forest. It has four seasons which dictate zombie activity. Zombies slow and freeze in winter.

Game Time:
Game time is real time and perssistent. Daytime is for the living. Nighttime is for the dead.

There is a sweat spot of when the game takes place in time... it's 10 years after the zombie plague has hit the planet. So what this means for game asset creation is that everything in the world is rubble and over grown.

Gameplay and Goals:
The first goal is survival; food, shelter, killing zombies. The next is finding other people.

The Look:
The characters all look like variations of homeless people. So there is no stereotypical "cop", "nurse", etc. No children. Sadly, they've all passed.

Game Physics:

..... BLAH BLAH BLAH haven't thought that far...
I also want to mention that he is not a game designer but a brilliant animator and writer of short storys.
If you like see some of his work please watch this wonderful short movie he made at Blur Studio
http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/rough/

So my personal request would be, is it possible to provide a new strategy based mod (regardless if it should go really in this way posted above) but as an example and alternative to show Ca3Ds flexibility.
Besides its quite a challenge to see if you really can change the mod that radical but easy.
Just let me know im curious :)

Greetings from LA
Kai
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Some new ideas

Post by Carsten » 2009-01-26, 23:25

Hi Kai!

Wow, that's an interesting proposal that you posted there! :-)
I like the idea a lot, and already start to imagine how the final game might look like. :cheesy:

What I mostly don't yet understand is how the game would be turn-based, i.e. what are the turns and how do they work? Are multiple players playing one after another?? If so, how?

Also, how is the player "rewarded"? In your post, you said:
Kai / Paul wrote: Gameplay and Goals:
The first goal is survival; food, shelter, killing zombies. The next is finding other people.
In this, the only part that I understand is the one about killing zombies. ;)
What would the player have to do in order to achieve food and shelter and finding other people? Would the other people be human players, or NPCs?

I also want to mention that he is not a game designer but a brilliant animator and writer of short storys.
If you like see some of his work please watch this wonderful short movie he made at Blur Studio
http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/rough/
Wow, it's great!! :cheesy: Excellent job! :wohow:
So my personal request would be, is it possible to provide a new strategy based mod (regardless if it should go really in this way posted above) but as an example and alternative to show Ca3Ds flexibility.
Besides its quite a challenge to see if you really can change the mod that radical but easy.
Just let me know im curious :)
Sure, coding a new mod is not difficult at all - but a huge effort will be required nonetheless. ;)
I'd be all for it, especially when I got the mental image of the mods gameplay straight (see questions above) :mrgreen:

Btw., did you intentionally post this in the TechDemo forum, which has restricted access?
Do you want me to move the thread into one of the public forums?
Best regards,
Carsten