Supported model formats?

Discuss artwork in all of its forms here, from level design to GUI button themes. New MODs planning, work-in-progress and other samples are welcome in this forum as well.
HWGuy
Supported model formats?

Post by HWGuy » 2011-10-01, 19:17

In the wiki it says the only supported model format is ase, which is a pretty dead format in the industry, I haven't used since 2004's Doom 3.

Are other formats now supported? Is there a converter tool so I can work with a more common format?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Supported model formats?

Post by Carsten » 2011-10-02, 13:58

Hi HWGuy,

yes, there are other formats supported as well: this is exactly the kind of problem that the new Model Editor is supposed to solve.
See http://www.cafu.de/wiki/modeleditor:introduction for a brief overview.

If you compile Cafu from source, just update to the latest revision and recompile.
If you use the binary editions, I'll create and upload a new binary release on Tuesday.

Generally, the Model Editor not quite, but almost finished, at about 90%.
I'm currently working to add support for animation channels, animation blending and "externalizing" / separating the pose of a model from the model representation itself. This is a pretty big step about which I'll post a separate news announcement in the next few days as well, but I'll also make the binary release on Tuesday (probably without these latest animation features, but with support for the file formats listed in the documentation above).
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-10-04, 22:26

As promised, I've just uploaded a new "r398" binary release for 32-bit Windows (it works and can be used on 64-bit Windows as well)! :wman:

It contains all the latest features and fixes. With regard to the Model Editor, please note that the Model Editor is almost, but not quite finished: some features are still missing, but it should still get you a good feel for where we are going. I'll also post a news announcement with additional details about it this very week.

If you have questions or comments about it, please let me know! This is a very good time to make further improvements and adjustments.

You find the new release at the Downloads page, or directly at Cafu-bin-r398-win32.zip.
Best regards,
Carsten
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2011-10-05, 21:25

Very nice, thanks, my compile was from June so it was pretty dated.

My friend who's the programmer has slow upload so it would have taken a long time to get it from him.

He's interested in implementing OpenGL 3 support in Cafu since DirectX is windows only making it a waste of work, and the current OGL implementation is pretty dated.

Do you use steam? I'd love to know your steam name to chat about possible using Cafu for a small commercial title, would publish it on impulse, steam, and self-publish.
Will hop on IRC.