couple of issues

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
scott
couple of issues

Post by scott » 2012-04-13, 11:37

First of all, with the model editor I cant open an .OBJ file, it says that "this version wasnt compiled with some autodesk library etc". This is the latest binaries that you released a few days ago.

Also when I'm selecting a model to import into the model editor, when I click on the up or down arrows on the scroll bar to navigate to the correct folder the program locks up and I have to ctrl+alt+del to get out.

so go to File>New>Model then click multiple times on the up or down arrows in the dialogue. I'm using windows 7 with 32 bit binaries.
HWGuy

Re: couple of issues

Post by HWGuy » 2012-04-13, 14:38

I'm afraid I can't replicate either of these problems(xp32, xp64, win7-64), perhaps your windows explorer(fm) is broken, or there's a bug that only shows up with win7-32.
As for opening .obj, this also works when I try, can you upload the .obj you can't open for us to try using? Perhaps it is a non-standard file.
tuldok89

Post by tuldok89 » 2012-04-13, 18:59

IIRC, you need to recompile the engine to enable Autodesk FBX support as Cafu doesn't (?) support them out-of-box ( http://www.cafu.de/wiki/cppdev:fbxsdk )
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-13, 22:31

Thanks for your testing and feedback!

tuldok89's analysis is right: The scripts currently don't take the FBX SDK into account. I'll fix that and upload new binaries.

I'll also look into the file dialog issue, although that is something that should not happen: The "File Open" dialog is a Windows-native control, not something that we've written ourselves. But I'll try to reproduce and investigate anyways.
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-15, 10:49

Scott, you are referring to the pair of arrows indicated red in this image, are you?
(Or the blue pair?)
open_file_dialog.png
In any case, I cannot reproduce any problem with them.
It sounds like you have installed an Explorer plugin or extension (as I have with TortoiseSVN, it makes the green dots) that causes the problems?

E.g. if something loads a preview image of the file contents in place of the usual file icon, if the program responsible for such loading fails, you can experience "locking" that matches the symptoms that you describe.

Regarding FBX support, I've uploaded new binaries (64-bit Linux follows later today).
Can you please test again?

I've also prepared a small "How do I get my models into Cafu?" video. If all goes well, I'll upload it later today, too.
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2012-04-15, 17:46

Carsten, I got the latest downloads. now I can import an .obj file. I didnt have one with UV mapping so I didn't test to see if materials show up properly, but I will try to get to that soon.

I tried out a collada file (.dae), trouble is something messed up on import, the uvs got rotated
WrongUVs.jpg
I tried importing the exact same model into another engine and it worked fine
Correct.jpg
The model was originally exported from SoftimageXSI 7.01 and I believe its collada 1.4. I double checked it in blender and another game engine so the file should be fine.

One side problem, I was originally using 2048x2048 .tga files for my material, but decided to halve the size and convert them to .png when this error cropped up
JpegAndPngError.jpg
All I did was change the file extensions in the .cmat file. the texture shows up properly in the material browser. I converted the files using paint.net

I tried with both .png and .jpeg both come up the same

I'll email you the files so you can check them out yourself.

The problem with the file dialogue was my fault. I was navigating to an external drive which was just slow to activate whenever I went to it. Very annoying :(
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-16, 09:39

Hi Scott,
scott wrote:I tried out a collada file (.dae), trouble is something messed up on import, the uvs got rotated
Got your mail with the files -- thank you very much!
I'll look into it asap.
If you tested other models with u/v-mapping as well, please let me know if this problem occurs with all of them, or only with some.
One side problem, I was originally using 2048x2048 .tga files for my material, but decided to halve the size and convert them to .png when this error cropped up
This looks like the "file not found" texture that was substituted for one of the component textures: In the cmat file from your mail, there seems to be a typo in the normalmap specification: It says Statue_Normals.tga, and the model loaded correctly when I changed this to StatueNormal_normals.tga.

I'll report back as soon as I've looked into the u/v issue.
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-17, 20:36

Ok, I just fixed the issue, new binary releases ("r525") are currently uploading and should be available in a few hours.

With your statue model, you have to reload it from the .dae file in order to get a proper new .cmdl file.

I also tested r525 with all files in the "Collada 1.4.1 Basic Samples" set: before the fix they showed the same symptoms as the statue model, but all work properly now with correctly aligned textures.

:wohow:
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2012-04-17, 23:20

Ahh excellent I'll grab them when I get home from work :)
scott

Post by scott » 2012-04-18, 14:20

Works like a charm. :)

On the weekend I'll whip up a few more test models to try out the other formats. Got to figure out how to use Blender now since my Softimage license has expired :(