Material Problems in Ubuntu 11.10

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
alansalexer
Material Problems in Ubuntu 11.10

Post by alansalexer » 2012-05-01, 14:28

I'm exploring CaWE this afternoon, and it seems to work fine in Win7. I created a map, inserted some entities....
But when I copied the map to Ubuntu11.10 and compiled sucessfully, I found that the sky was totally black.(Everything is OK in CaWE in Ubuntu 11.10, the sky is only black when I start Cafu Engine.)
Besides, I got some warning messages below:

Code: Select all

Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/HelloGame/Textures/SkyDomes/PK_Winter_px.png".
(yes, I applied PK_Winter material to the sky)
There is no PK_Winter_px.png in the directory SkyDomes but there is one in SkyDomes.zip. The problem is that why CaWE can read the file correctly but Cafu cannot ? If I choose other materials which are not located in SkyDomes, Cafu works well. Also, both CaWE and Cafu work well in windows no matter what material I use, but materials located in SkyDomes.zip cannot work in Cafu in Ubuntu11.10.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Material Problems in Ubuntu 11.10

Post by Carsten » 2012-05-02, 01:44

Hi alansalexer,
alansalexer wrote:

Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/HelloGame/Textures/SkyDomes/PK_Winter_px.png".
it looks as if this is related to the "HelloGame" component in the above path.
You didn't say where this path comes from, but likely the Cafu Engine registers the SkyDomes.zip only in the DeathMatch directory, not in HelloGame, and thus it cannot find the related files.

A quick solution to overcome this is to extract the files in SkyDome.zip from DeathMatch into the related directory in HelloGame, it should then be able to find the file and work properly.
Best regards,
Carsten
alansalexer

Post by alansalexer » 2012-05-02, 06:52

Hi Carsten
HelloGame is just a copy of DeathMatch.(It's recommended to start my own MOD by doing that, right?)
I tried to extract both SkyDome.zip and TechDemos.zip, but both of them required passwords...
Could you please provide me with the passwords or just the extracted files?
Thanks!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-05-02, 10:50

Hi alansalexer,
alansalexer wrote:HelloGame is just a copy of DeathMatch.(It's recommended to start my own MOD by doing that, right?)
Yes, that's right of course. Just wanted to make sure it's deliberately there. ;-)
I tried to extract both SkyDome.zip and TechDemos.zip, but both of them required passwords...
Could you please provide me with the passwords or just the extracted files?
Thanks!
Ok, this is a problem that should generally be fixed; I've created related ticket #116, to be addressed soon.

One quick solution to overcome it is to find all lines like

cf::FileSys::FileMan->MountFileSystem(cf::FileSys::FS_TYPE_ZIP_ARCHIVE, "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip", "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes/", "Ca3DE");
and to replace all occurrences of DeathMatch with the name of your MOD.
One such line is e.g. here, but you should grep all source files for SkyDomes.zip to find them all.

Finally, for the other solution indicated in my previous post, I'll send you the password for SkyDomes.zip via PM in a minute.
(You should not need to unzip TechDemo.zip as well, all its files are in Textures.zip already.)

:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
alansalexer

Post by alansalexer » 2012-05-02, 15:51

Thanks, Carsten. Problem Solved.
cthoennes

Post by cthoennes » 2012-09-03, 20:50

Could you send the password to me as well? I'm at the same point having the same problem...

Thank you!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-09-03, 22:42

Just sent it via PM.
Seems like I really have to look into #116 though...
Best regards,
Carsten