Model Formats

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
OBI_Ron
Model Formats

Post by OBI_Ron » 2012-05-12, 20:07

Hello Everyone,

I am running on Linux, and I have exported from Blender an obj, and 3ds file. When I try to open them, I get the following error:

The model file "/home/XXX/untitled.3ds" could not be loaded:
This edition of the program was built without the Autodesk FBXlibrary that is required to import files in this file format.

What are my options with the Linux version?

Thanks in advance!
HWGuy

Re: Model Formats

Post by HWGuy » 2012-05-12, 21:20

I highly recommend using collada, it's the defacto standard for video game assets these days because it's not a proprietary format like 3ds is.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-05-12, 21:36

OBI_Ron wrote:The model file "/home/XXX/untitled.3ds" could not be loaded:
This edition of the program was built without the Autodesk FBXlibrary that is required to import files in this file format.

What are my options with the Linux version?
I assume you compiled from source code?
If so, please follow the instructions at http://www.cafu.de/wiki/cppdev:fbxsdk
:up:

(HWGuy, while I agree that Collada seems to be better because it's open, standardized and free, I cannot say that from a programmers viewpoint: In practice, Collada seems horribly over-engineered, and there is no reference implementation or SDK that is actually usable within reasonable limits. In comparison, adding support for the proprietary FBX SDK was straightforward, simple, and came with very good and free support.)
Best regards,
Carsten
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2012-05-12, 22:13

Ya it's a mess for an open format because it was initially proprietary(sony's not so brilliant work), although there's a lot of open-source implementations of it nowadays; Blender, OpenCOLLADA, COLLADA DOM, Spring, Irrlicht.
All of my stuff is dae, just because all the software I use supports it.
OBI_Ron

Post by OBI_Ron » 2012-05-12, 23:13

Hey all,

Thanks for the info - I am re-compiling now.
OBI_Ron

Post by OBI_Ron » 2012-05-13, 00:06

OK - now I am getting the following errors when compiling - see below.

In the meantime, I amgoing to download an earlier version of FBX SDK - However, they do not list 2012.1 - they have 2012.2, so that is what I am going to try. Also, there is a python download there as well - do I need to get that?, and if so, where do I put it?

As always - thanks in advance.

Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:598:54: error: 'KFbxGeometryElement' has not been declared
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:602:30: error: 'KFbxGeometryElement' has not been declared
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:606:30: error: 'KFbxGeometryElement' has not been declared
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:615:59: error: 'KFbxGeometryElement' has not been declared
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:629:55: error: 'eBY_POLYGON_VERTEX' is not a member of 'fbxsdk_2013_1::KFbxLayerElement {aka fbxsdk_2013_1::FbxLayerElement}'
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp: In member function 'ArrayT<ArrayT<PosQtrScaleT> > LoaderFbxT::FbxSceneT::GetSequData(fbxsdk_2013_1::KFbxAnimStack*, const ArrayT<fbxsdk_2013_1::FbxTime>&) const':
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:723:13: error: 'KFbxQuaternion' was not declared in this scope
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:723:32: error: expected ';' before 'Quaternion'
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:726:13: error: 'Quaternion' was not declared in this scope
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp: In member function 'void LoaderFbxT::FbxSceneT::Load(ArrayT<CafuModelT::AnimT>&) const':
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:743:5: error: 'KArrayTemplate' was not declared in this scope
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:743:27: error: expected primary-expression before '*' token
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:743:28: error: expected primary-expression before '>' token
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:743:30: error: 'AnimStackNames' was not declared in this scope
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:826:40: error: 'FbxSdkDeleteAndClear' was not declared in this scope
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp: At global scope:
Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:52:22: error: 'std::ostream& operator<<(std::ostream&, const int&)' defined but not used [-Werror=unused-function]
cc1plus: all warnings being treated as errors

scons: *** [Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/Models/Loader_fbx.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
OBI_Ron

Post by OBI_Ron » 2012-05-13, 03:19

...and with fbx 2012.2, I get:

In file included from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxsdk.h:71:0,
from Libs/Models/Loader_fbx.cpp:26:
ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/fbxfilesdk_def.h:153:30: error: missing terminating ' character [-Werror]
In file included from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/fbxfilesdk_nsbegin.h:38:0,
from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/fbxfilesdk_memory.h:69,
from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/fbxfilesdk_def.h:156,
from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxsdk.h:71,
ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/fbxfilesdk_def.h:153:30: error: missing terminating ' character [-Werror]
In file included from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/components/libxml2-2.6.4/libxml.h:29:0,
from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/kfbxio/kfbxiosettings.h:48,
from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/kfbxio/kfbxexporter.h:44,
from ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxsdk.h:78,
ExtLibs/fbx/include/fbxfilesdk/components/libxml2-2.6.4/include/libxml/xmlversion.h:329:22: fatal error: ansidecl.h: No such file or directory
cc1plus: all warnings being treated as errors

compilation terminated.
scons: *** [Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/Models/Loader_fbx.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Any Help greatly appreciated!
OBI_Ron

Post by OBI_Ron » 2012-05-13, 04:30

Seems to be Python 32 bit related - this would suggest that fbx for 32 bit linux isn't supported:

http://community.softimage.com/forum/au ... page-last/

So, I downloaded the pre-compiled version of Cafu for Linux 32 bit, and I am off and running - able to import items that were exported from my beloved Blender.

Thanks to all involved for offering pre-compiled versions. For now, it appears to be the only way to implement fbx for Linux 32 bit.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-05-14, 11:18

Hi Obi_Ron,

while version 2012.2 of the FBX SDK should work, also on 32-bit Linux (no Python-bindings required, just the regular C++ FBX SDK), I just realized that their new 2013.1 release is now available as well, and I'll rather skip 2012.2 and upgrade the code to work with 2013.1 on all platforms soon.

http://trac.cafu.de/ticket/118
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten