Can I make a turn-based strategy game with Cafu?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
TheShatner
Can I make a turn-based strategy game with Cafu?

Post by TheShatner » 2012-07-29, 13:43

Greetings, Cafu users!
Here's the thing: I want to make an old-fashioned turn-based strategy game. The map would (or could) basically be a huge 2D square with 3D objects "glued" to it, such as trees, mountains and whatnot. The game characters would be 3D as well. To help you guys figuring what I want to do, think of Civilization IV with more "moveable" units.
As far as I know, Cafu is primarily designed to be a FPS engine. And I do not have lots of C++ knowledge... Is it possible to adapt Cafu to this project using Lua or other scripting languages (such as Python, for example)?
scott

Re: Can I make a turn-based strategy game with Cafu?

Post by scott » 2012-07-29, 14:56

Your not going to get that far without c++. The Lua scripting can only get you so far.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Can I make a turn-based strategy game with Cafu?

Post by Carsten » 2012-07-29, 22:29

Hi TheShatner,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
TheShatner wrote:Here's the thing: I want to make an old-fashioned turn-based strategy game. The map would (or could) basically be a huge 2D square with 3D objects "glued" to it, such as trees, mountains and whatnot. The game characters would be 3D as well.
[...] Is it possible to adapt Cafu to this project using Lua or other scripting languages (such as Python, for example)?
As Scott already said, Lua alone will not suffice to implement all the desired or required features, so at least some C++ coding will be necessary.

On the other hand, I think that the changes that are required for a turn-based game should not be too involved (regarding C++), so my "objective" and "unbiased" advice is to not be put off by this.
Maybe this FAQ can provide additional insights as well.

Finally, please note that I'm currently working on http://trac.cafu.de/ticket/113, which I understand as a broad mission to make the C++ part of game and entity programming easier than it used to be / is right now. Much has been accomplished already, but there is a lot more to come.
Best regards,
Carsten