Where did "Deathmatch.cpp" Go?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
sphyrth
Where did "Deathmatch.cpp" Go?

Post by sphyrth » 2012-09-12, 03:31

I wanted to start making a Mod, and tried to follow How Do I Start A New Game Mod Project?.

When I went to change "Deathmatch.cpp", it's not there!

I checked the "VSWM" folder and it has "VSWM.cpp" in it. Should I use that, or is there a reason why "Deathmatch.cpp" isn't in the Deathmatch/Code folder?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Where did "Deathmatch.cpp" Go?

Post by Carsten » 2012-09-12, 23:07

Hi sphyrth,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
sphyrth wrote:I wanted to start making a Mod, and tried to follow How Do I Start A New Game Mod Project?.

When I went to change "Deathmatch.cpp", it's not there!
Unfortunately, the instructions are currently out of date, because I'm in the process of significantly re-arranging (and improving!) the related code. In fact, lot's has been done already, and the breakage that you see is a related side effect that I right now am working to fix.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that the current situation brings. This should not happen at all, but at this time it was impossible to avoid.

Until I complete my work and update the documentation, the best and easiest course is to make all your changes "in" the DeathMatch folder and code. That is, keep the name, but otherwise act like it was yours from scratch. :up:

When I've fixed the situation (I hope to finish it early next week), it will be possible to copy or rename the entire folder as desired.
I checked the "VSWM" folder and it has "VSWM.cpp" in it. Should I use that, or is there a reason why "Deathmatch.cpp" isn't in the Deathmatch/Code folder?
Better leave VSWM alone -- it's very old, the code is ugly, and will soon be deleted entirely from the repository.

Sorry again, but I hope the above helps. :sorry:
Best regards,
Carsten
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth » 2012-09-13, 04:12

No problem sir, and thank you for replying. And I thought I missed a step, or I was doing something wrong.

I did notice that (walking through the CaWE guide) there are so many changes that should be made. But somehow that's something I like about this engine: I can grow with it. The more mature engines (namely the Half-Life SDK) are too mature for my "baby teeth of game development" to chew on.

I'm looking forward for the next release and keep up the good work!
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth » 2012-10-28, 12:23

I'm bumping because I got excited when I saw the recent update.

Can we do the classic modding process now, or do we have to use a new one?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-10-28, 14:17

sphyrth wrote:I'm bumping because I got excited when I saw the recent update.
:cheesy:

(r655, you mean?)
Can we do the classic modding process now, or do we have to use a new one?
As I mentioned in this post, with r655 you should be able to copy the DeathMatch folder to start/fork a new game (renaming is possible, too, but doesn't agree that well with Subversion or Git repository checkouts).

It's not yet properly tested though, and I still have to update the docs (will do so asap).

Or did you mean something else with "classic modding process"?
Best regards,
Carsten
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth » 2012-10-28, 14:29

Nah... I didn't mean anything there, except about the modding process described in the Documentation (copying the "Deathmatch" folder, and then renaming that copy).
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-11-01, 17:27

I've now updated the related documentation:

The new page Starting your own Game should address all questions in this thread (but any feedback is welcome!).

:up:
Best regards,
Carsten