Hi, I'm new and IMPRESSED!

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Flock
Hi, I'm new and IMPRESSED!

Post by Flock » 2012-10-22, 04:00

I got this engine about 12 hours (6.5 of it was compiling the source code :lol: )
I followed the GREAT instructions on "Getting Started with the Cafu Source Code" also here http://www.cafu.de/wiki/cppdev:gettingstarted.
Once it was done, I got somewhat confused at the end
Another important consideration is that all programs assume the top-level Cafu directory as their working directory.

Combining these facts provides you with several options on how you can run the new programs:
Copy the programs of the platform, compiler and build variant of your choice from Cafu/build/$platform/$compiler/$variant/… directly into the Cafu directory. This is what we do at CFS for the prepackaged binary releases, as end-users can then simply and directly double-click each executable in the Windows Explorer.

Create a Windows link (.lnk) or batch (.bat) file in the proper working directory that calls the desired program in its original location.

For developers, the most flexible and recommended approach is to run the program directly from the command prompt: First change the current working directory to Cafu, then type the relative path to the desired program (TAB completion – also on Windows – proves to be a great help here!).
For example, running the debug version of CaWE under Windows looks like this (note that the example also shows the current working directory at the left, the actual command follows the > character): D:\Cafu> build\win32\vc9\debug\CaWE\CaWE.exe
Running the release version of Cafu under Linux looks like this:
~/Cafu> ./build/linux2/g++/release/Ca3DE/Cafu

If you have downloaded the binary assets as instructed above, you can now run your self-compiled Cafu engine e.g. at build\win32\vc9\release\Ca3DE\Cafu.exe and enjoy one of the included demo levels!
I just put all the exes in the main directory but only the Cafu.exe and CaWe.exe did anything. (All the others showed a command prompt with some text that I can't read because it is only listed for a half a second. If I was doing it wrong, please tell me what to do. Other than that, the engine runs great! I love the multiplayer integration. Another question though...
I have worked with other open source game engines and they all hade a .sln (which is what they told me is what you use for editing the source). I cannot find it in ths one though. Is there some other file I use to edit the source or do I have to manually go to each .cpp/.hpp or what ever other type of VC++2012 uses. Or is it in there but I'm that blind that I don't see it.

Thank you for your time! :cheesy:

P.S I'm sure there are LOTS of mistakes and it might not make sense so feel free to ask me to restate it. ME SLEEPY! :twisted:
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Hi, I'm new and IMPRESSED!

Post by Carsten » 2012-10-22, 09:03

Hi Flock,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Flock wrote:I got this engine about 12 hours (6.5 of it was compiling the source code :lol: )
I followed the GREAT instructions on "Getting Started with the Cafu Source Code" also here http://www.cafu.de/wiki/cppdev:gettingstarted.
Once it was done, I got somewhat confused at the end
For developers, the most flexible and recommended approach is to run the program directly from the command prompt: First change the current working directory to Cafu, then type the relative path to the desired program (TAB completion – also on Windows – proves to be a great help here!).
I just put all the exes in the main directory but only the Cafu.exe and CaWe.exe did anything. (All the others showed a command prompt with some text that I can't read because it is only listed for a half a second.
These programs are console programs, and you have to start them at the command-line. (This is what I recommend doing for Cafu.exe and CaWE.exe as well.)

On the other hand, the command-line programs are really specific (and now largely integrated into the other two), so if you simply ignore and don't use them at all, you'll not miss anything.
I have worked with other open source game engines and they all hade a .sln (which is what they told me is what you use for editing the source). I cannot find it in ths one though. Is there some other file I use to edit the source or do I have to manually go to each .cpp/.hpp or what ever other type of VC++2012 uses.
Please have a look at this thread: http://www.cafu.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1022

In short: There is no sln file at this time, but you can edit the source files with any text editor or IDE: Visual Studio, Eclipse, Geany, UltraEdit, ... Then re-run SCons like you already did to re-compile.
Best regards,
Carsten
Flock

Post by Flock » 2012-10-22, 12:27

I get this error when I run the programs through the console.
Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/Deathmatch/Textures/Techdemo.zip
Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/Deathmatch/Textures/Skydomes.zip
USAGE: CaBSP IntFile.cmap OutFile.cw [OPTIONS]

Please note that all file names must include their paths and suffixes!
When I put in the texture Binary Assets, in the textures folder I unzipped the Textures.zip but there was another zip inside of it called Skydomes.zip. When I tried to unzip it, it asked for a password. So, I just left it how it was.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-10-22, 13:59

Hi Flock,

some thoughts, all related to your post:
  • Can you please show the exact line that you entered that produced the above message?
  • For compiling maps, also check out http://www.cafu.de/wiki/mapping:compiling_new. Using the menu is much simpler for compiling the maps than doing it by hand.
  • Regarding SkyDomes.zip, that's ok: it will load properly both in CaWE.exe as well as in Cafu.exe.
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Flock

Post by Flock » 2012-10-22, 22:17

I entered the following-
cd C:\Users\Christopher\Cafu
CaBSP
or
cd C:\Users\Christopher\Cafu
CaLight
and etc...
It gave me that error for all of the exes but the Cafu.exe and Cawe.exe
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-10-23, 19:50

Ok, thanks for the info!

As said above, you don't really need any of these programs except CaWE.exe and Cafu.exe, because quasi all functionality of the other programs is available through these two, as explained at http://www.cafu.de/wiki/mapping:compiling_new

Does this help?

:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
harrybro

Post by harrybro » 2012-10-24, 12:36

I cannot find it in ths one though. Is there some other file I use to edit the source or do I have to manually go to each .cpp/.
Pass your 640-722 exam in first try guaranteed using 70-413 braindumps study guide and exam dumps dumps questions.For more details visit PMI now The Johns Hopkins University and Appalachian State University best wishes.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-10-24, 13:39

harrybro wrote:I cannot find it in ths one though. Is there some other file I use to edit the source or do I have to manually go to each .cpp/.
Sorry, I don't understand this. What is the problem, and what is your question?
Best regards,
Carsten