lightmap calculation

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
3DProgrammer
lightmap calculation

Post by 3DProgrammer » 2004-12-22, 12:41

Hi Carsten!

How do you calculate the lightmaps for your levels? Is it radiosity based? Know any good websites where i can learn this stuff?

Thanks
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: lightmap calculation

Post by Carsten » 2004-12-22, 16:11

3DProgrammer wrote:How do you calculate the lightmaps for your levels? Is it radiosity based?
Yes.
Know any good websites where i can learn this stuff?
No, but a few good books.
Please have a look at this FAQ: http://www.ca3d-engine.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32

I just added two books there about radiosity. "Computer Graphics, Principles and Practise" has a good section about radiosity, and the two books below it are all about radiosity. The one by Ashdown is no longer in print, afaik.
I used all three for implementing CaLight, but mostly the upper two.
Best regards,
Carsten
RAZOR

Post by RAZOR » 2004-12-23, 12:42

Just as a point of curiosity, what are you impressions of photon mapping?
No-one quite knows why I'm here...
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-12-23, 20:51

RAZOR wrote:Just as a point of curiosity, what are you impressions of photon mapping?
To be honest, I don't know enough about it yet and cannot clearly relate or compare it to ray-casting or radiosity methods, but I'll soon have a thorough look into http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/papers/book/

When I'm through with the book :book:, maybe it will eventually find its way into Ca3DE. Maybe this becomes a booster for CaLight, after all. :wink:
Best regards,
Carsten