Good news first:
- No posts were lost. I was able to revert without having to restore the previously created DB backup.
- I'm highly motivated to re-install some of the features that many of us have fallen in love with during the test phase. I'm especially thinking about the fisubsilversh theme, the quick reply mod, and a few others.
The phpBB2 "Plus" version (which the test was about) is the effort of an individual. It is basically the same as the regular phpBB board, with a selection of MODs installed (dozens!).
- Incompatible with the regular line of phpBB development. (This is why I was so afraid about loosing the DB at some point.)
- NO (!) documentation! I spent hours and days during the last week in the support forums, trying the get some things sorted out, with no success. It's very frustrating to spend hours just to NOT figure out what "Display Links site banner" in the Admin Panel eventually means.
- NO way to disable most features. There was plenty of stuff that I simply didn't want or need.
- Most importantly: It did not meet my needs. I was looking for a way to manage the existing Ca3DE website pages as forum posts (similar to the News posts during the test). A problem describtion (in German language) is available here: http://www.phpbb2.de/ftopic22876.html
The "Plus" versions portal.php looked promising at first, but then I realized that it cannot meet the desired concept - it was never made to.
I'm feeling better now.
We're back in the main development line of phpBB, and I feel couraged to add themes and MODs and even customize php code if required. This is because we're back at a well-defined starting point and code base.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during the test.
More tests will come, though. There are two MODs to phpBB that promise to achieve what I want, so maybe I'll backup the DB soon again...
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests