Deathmatch static library

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
D4rkTorq
Deathmatch static library

Post by D4rkTorq » 2013-03-08, 15:07

Hi,

When building Cafu-src-r625 I've noticed that deathmatch is no longer built as a shader library, but a static one? Why is that? How are games loaded in cafu now?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Deathmatch static library

Post by Carsten » 2013-03-11, 00:10

Hi,
D4rkTorq wrote:When building Cafu-src-r625 I've noticed that deathmatch is no longer built as a shader library, but a static one? Why is that? How are games loaded in cafu now?
Well, linking games dynamically as we did made it very difficult to further improve the code and to change its design. Now we link statically, and this helped dramatically.
One or several games can be linked statically to the main game executable, and it is still possible to choose among them at run-time, very much like before.

One of the next big changes will be to update the game code to no longer use inheritance but "components" in order to implement features of game entities. This will be a huge improvement (I'm currently implementing it for the GUI system), and it might reduce the need for game-specific C++ code even further.
Best regards,
Carsten