Can't get Cafu to open?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Nichromo221
Can't get Cafu to open?

Post by Nichromo221 » 2015-02-09, 04:13

When it opens if gives me some sort of error, saying something about rendering, I cannot open the program on my 64 bit windows computer because the download is only available for Windows 32 bit.
I tried to go into the file's properties and change it to run on Windows 7 because it was only running for XP but I still got the error, I tried E-Mailing Cafu about the issue but the last update on the website was so long ago and I'm starting to think by the time I get a reply I will lose motivation to create this game.
Thanks if you reply, and even if the problem is the fact is currently running for 32 bit only, do you know when the 64-bit will come out? Or do you know how I can work my way around this problem? Thanks! :D :mrgreen:
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Can't get Cafu to open?

Post by Carsten » 2015-02-09, 15:20

Hi Nichromo221,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Nichromo221 wrote:When it opens if gives me some sort of error, saying something about rendering,
Sorry, but you don't really expect anyone to say something about something, do you? If you want help, you have to provide more and very specific details about the problem, as I cannot understand what the problem is from your statement above. I have no crystal ball, so please have at least a cursory look at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-que ... #beprecise
I cannot open the program on my 64 bit windows computer because the download is only available for Windows 32 bit.
The Downloads page says quite clearly: "If a recent 64-bit Windows release is not available, you can use the newer 32-bit edition as well."

That is, just use the 32-bit edition on your 64-bit system, and it will work. I and many others do this daily since years. It's a situation that is very similar with other programs, too.
I tried to go into the file's properties and change it to run on Windows 7 because it was only running for XP but I still got the error,
I don't know what gave you the idea about XP. Cafu in its 32-bit edition runs as-is on all current Windows systems (2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1), both on 32- and on 64-bit editions. No need to change anything.
I tried E-Mailing Cafu about the issue but the last update on the website was so long ago and I'm starting to think by the time I get a reply I will lose motivation to create this game.
Well, your emails and your forum posts arrived here today at 3:13 AM local time. Reply is posted less than 12 hours later, which still makes it faster than many commercially supported projects.
Thanks if you reply, and even if the problem is the fact is currently running for 32 bit only, do you know when the 64-bit will come out? Or do you know how I can work my way around this problem? Thanks! :D :mrgreen:
As explained above, running 32-bit code on today's 64-bit Windows systems works properly and is a normal case. You can compile the latest Cafu as 64-bit Windows code yourself, if you desired. It's not overly difficult, see Getting Started with the Cafu Source Code for details, but judging from the above, I'd recommend getting the 32-bit precompiled binary running first.
Best regards,
Carsten