Support for DirectX?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
YellowBox
Support for DirectX?

Post by YellowBox » 2016-01-13, 14:43

Hi Carsten does Cafu work with Directx? I don't really know much about OpenGL would you say it's better than Directx?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Support for DirectX?

Post by Carsten » 2016-01-13, 15:12

Hi YellowBox,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

[ Please note that I've moved your post into a separate topic. ]

Cafu is designed to work with pluggable rendering backends, that is, with various versions of OpenGL, DirectX, or others.

At this time though, we only have rendering implementations for OpenGL. Support for DirectX was/is planned, but has not been implemented so far. This is mostly because OpenGL is indeed better: There is nothing that DirectX can do that OpenGL cannot, but OpenGL works on all major platforms, whereas DirectX only works on Microsoft systems.

As one of our next major steps, we will concentrate on a brand new rendering implementation using Vulkan, which I expect will make us fit for the future! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot » 2016-03-31, 23:13

Hey Carsten -

I am new to Cafu3d and I am super interested in Vulkan and DirectX 12. While I am not a programmer I am an 3D Artist. That said I have a question from the above post.
As one of our next major steps, we will concentrate on a brand new rendering implementation using Vulkan, which I expect will make us fit for the future!
With the Vulkan rendering implementation will there be any form of Physically Based Shading added to Cafu3d?

I am asking as this would make things looks allot more realistic and would be much easier on 3D Artists to get things to look good in Cafu3D.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2016-04-02, 09:17

Hi HeadClot,

Well, Physically Based Shading is still a relatively new kind of shading that we can look into only after support for Vulkan has been implemented. However, the technique is very promising and I can tell you for sure that we'll get back to it as soon as possible!
Best regards,
Carsten
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot » 2016-04-03, 00:46

Carsten wrote:Hi HeadClot,

Well, Physically Based Shading is still a relatively new kind of shading that we can look into only after support for Vulkan has been implemented. However, the technique is very promising and I can tell you for sure that we'll get back to it as soon as possible!
Hey Carsten thanks for the reply. Totally understandable with looking into it after Vulkan has been put in to Cafu. :)