Compiling Cafu on Windows 10: "Unknown compiler platform win32"

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
jellypox
Compiling Cafu on Windows 10: "Unknown compiler platform win32"

Post by jellypox » 2016-05-19, 20:43

Hey,

I just went to test this engine, but when attempting to compile, I got the following message:

Code: Select all

C:\cafu-cafu-n>scons
scons: Reading SConscript files ...

Unknown compiler on platform win32.

C:\cafu-cafu-n>
A search for this error message on the forum didn't turn up anything, so I decided to post here. I edited CompilerSetup.py as instructed for 64bit Windows, but it gives me the same error message either way.

I'm running Windows 10 64bit with Python 2.7, the latest version of SCons and Windows Visual Studio Community 2015.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Compiling Cafu on Windows 10: "Unknown compiler platform win32"

Post by Carsten » 2016-05-20, 00:30

Hi jellypox,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

The problem is related to Visual Studio 2015, for which we don't have support yet. I'm currently working on it though, please give me another day or two. I'll post here again as soon as I've completed the required changes! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2016-05-20, 09:48

Ok, ready! Can you please pull the latest changes and try again?

Please let me know if it works!
Best regards,
Carsten
jellypox

Post by jellypox » 2016-05-21, 08:07

Well, it seems to have gotten past its issue with VS2015, but now it's telling me 'nmake' is not recognized.

c:\cafu-cafu-z>scons
scons: Reading SConscript files ...

os.chdir('ExtLibs/wxWidgets/build/msw')
nmake /nologo /f makefile.vc BUILD=debug SHARED=0 COMPILER_PREFIX=vc14
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
os.chdir('C:\\cafu-cafu-z')
scons: *** Error 1

c:\cafu-cafu-z>
It's persisted in doing this even after I manually added the path to nmake.exe to my path variable and rebooted the system. I really have no idea what could explain this, and all the relevant answers that came up on Google just said to add it to your path variable. Maybe you can help me with this, although it seems that Cafu isn't what's causing the problem here.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2016-05-21, 20:35

Hi jellypox,

I've experienced this issue as well, and in my case the problem was that I didn't have the Visual C++ tools installed along with whatever the installer covered by default. The solution was to open Windows' "Programs and Features" dialog, open the "Visual Studio 2015 Community" installer again, and there add the "Common Tools for Visual C++ 2015". After that (and a reboot) it worked for me. (This used to be much easier and more straightforward in earlier versions of Visual C++...)

Does this help?
Best regards,
Carsten
jellypox

Post by jellypox » 2016-05-21, 23:33

Your solution worked, I managed to start up the compiling process, but then I got an error saying this version of VC++ is unsupported. Here are the last few lines; not sure if that first line is relevant, but I included it anyway.

Note: The FBX SDK is not present.

scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: building associated VariantDir targets: build\win32\vc14\amd64\debug build\win32\vc14\amd64\release
cl /Fobuild\win32\vc14\amd64\release\Ca3DE\AppCafu.obj /c Ca3DE\AppCafu.cpp /TP /nologo /GR /EHsc /MD /O2 /Ob2 /J /W3 /WX /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /D_WINSOCK_DEPRECATED_NO_WARNINGS /DNDEBUG /DSCONS_BUILD_DIR=build/win32/vc14/amd64/release /IExtLibs\freetype\include /IExtLibs\libpng /IExtLibs\zlib /ILibs /IExtLibs /IExtLibs\wxWidgets\lib\vc14_amd64_lib\mswu /IExtLibs\wxWidgets\include /Ibuild\win32\vc14\amd64\release\ExtLibs\lua\src /IExtLibs\lua\src /Ibuild\win32\vc14\amd64\release\ExtLibs\bullet\src /IExtLibs\bullet\src
AppCafu.cpp
Please update wx/compiler.h to recognize this VC++ version
ExtLibs\wxWidgets\include\wx/platform.h(183): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory
scons: *** [build\win32\vc14\amd64\release\Ca3DE\AppCafu.obj] Error 2
scons: building terminated because of errors.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2016-05-23, 00:12

Oh, sorry! The 32-bit build worked, and it was the only one that I checked. For the 64-bit build, I got the same error message as you and just committed a fix. (Don't worry about the first message about wx/compiler.h. You will likely see it again, but it is not related and just a harmless warning; I'll address it later.)

Please pull again and let me know if it works! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
jellypox

Post by jellypox » 2016-05-24, 08:50

It's working perfectly now, thanks a million for your help!