Few questions

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
tumira
Few questions

Post by tumira » 2016-11-30, 01:59

I have few questions about this engine :-

Does this engine will support or has these features ? If not, when ?

1)Vulkan/DX12
2)Procedural clouds ?
3)Navmesh navigation ?
4)Linux/Mac Exports and editor ?
5)PBR ?
6)Rain/Lake/Ocean ?
7)Multitrack or single track animations for models or characters ? If single track, will you provide features to split the animations ?
8)Cinematic Editor or features
9)Gamepad input and binding ?
10)Load and Save currentgame state. Do you have example ?
11)Maybe Steam API integration ?
12)Is this non-programmer friendly ?
13)Does the export or published project has encryption ? Nobody can just stole my assets easily ?
14)Tutorial+tutorial+tutorial please..
15)Video on youtube is outdated, please update with current features
16)Decal
17) Road spline ?

Basically I want to make a doom clone. So does reflection works really well in this engine ?

Thanks
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Few questions

Post by Carsten » 2016-11-30, 11:24

Hello tumira,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
1)Vulkan/DX12
I'm working on support for Vulkan, currently switching to GLFW for the windowing and OpenGL/Vulkan resources system.
2)Procedural clouds ?
Currently none.
3)Navmesh navigation ?
Not sure what this is.
4)Linux/Mac Exports and editor ?
Exports? Cafu currently works under Windows and Linux, as does the map editor CaWE.
5)PBR ?
Physically based rendering?
A main strength of Cafu is the Radiosity implementation, precomputing physically correct lighting that is stored in lightmaps. See http://docs.cafu.de/mapping:cawe:lighting
6)Rain/Lake/Ocean ?
Currently only as you can see in the outdoor portions of the TechDemo map.
7)Multitrack or single track animations for models or characters ? If single track, will you provide features to split the animations ?
Please see http://forum.cafu.de/viewtopic.php?t=925
8)Cinematic Editor or features
No. Per-model animations must be prepared in the external modelling software, cinematics must be scripted.
9)Gamepad input and binding ?
This will come with GLFW, see above.
10)Load and Save currentgame state. Do you have example ?
Prepared, but not yet implemented.
11)Maybe Steam API integration ?
No.
12)Is this non-programmer friendly ?
It depends. Scripting is required, being able to edit and compile C++ is helpful.
Our focus is not on graphical tools for everything (it's a resource problem, the same as mentioned in 15) below).
13)Does the export or published project has encryption ? Nobody can just stole my assets easily ?
Yes. We're currently not using this in the demo, but loading assets from encrypted archives is available and well tested.
14)Tutorial+tutorial+tutorial please..
http://docs.cafu.de/
15)Video on youtube is outdated, please update with current features
Thanks for mentioning this... it's a huge amount of work though, and time spent for videos reduces the time that can be spent for implementing new features.
16)Decal
As shown in the demos: The Techdemo uses plenty of decals for blood and dirt on the walls. These are implemented as Bezier patches.
17) Road spline ?
Not sure what you mean. Decals for road asphalt?
Basically I want to make a doom clone. So does reflection works really well in this engine ?
Phong shading (dynamic lighting) works very well.
One of Cafu's focuses is indeed on games such as Doom. However, there are some limitations as you can see above, and it works best if you can make custom changes to the C++ code yourself.

Also see our FAQ item Is Cafu right for our game of genre "..."? for additional thoughts.
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
tumira

Post by tumira » 2016-11-30, 11:54

Thank you for replying my long questions. I noticed that anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering are not enabled in the demo. Does the engine supports or will supports this ?

Navmesh navigation is kinda important for AI
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/top ... mesh-agent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_mesh

This is a really nice MIT license game engine. You should really need to hype the engine more.
Or maybe after GLFW is implemented. Maybe do a beautiful demo and hype it after that.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2016-12-01, 18:21

tumira wrote:Thank you for replying my long questions. I noticed that anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering are not enabled in the demo. Does the engine supports or will supports this ?
GLFW will help with that, too, so things are looking really good for having this available soon.

In the meanwhile, these settings can usually also be set directly in the graphics driver, where they override any application settings. Using this, you can run Cafu with anti aliasing right now.
This is not directly implemented right now, but note that our entity system is very powerful. I have not yet tried, but it seems straightforward to me to populate a map with entities that indicate path nodes, then write a behaviour script that navigates e.g. a robot along these paths…
This is a really nice MIT license game engine. You should really need to hype the engine more.
Or maybe after GLFW is implemented. Maybe do a beautiful demo and hype it after that.
:wohow: :thanks:
Best regards,
Carsten