Fundamental flaw in directory structure = inoperable installation?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Runi
Fundamental flaw in directory structure = inoperable installation?

Post by Runi » 2017-02-12, 19:14

So I've been having a lot of fun the last few days digging into the 2013 download version of this, but decided that I should probably get the most up to date versions if I want to continue.

After a little bit of battle and a loooong time for my laptop to do the first build, i noticed something annoying. The guy has named the executables the same as the folder holding them. This means that on linux; I cannot place the executables in the root folder.

I then changed the CaWE executable to CaWEr to place it in the root folder and bam, it works and I can run it. But when I go to compile, it says something along the lines of "./CaBSP not found".

First of all, I can't be sure that's the reason for this issue but it looks sound to me. Secondly, does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this issue? I'm keen dive into the newest software and don't want to go back to the old 2013 build and grow any obsolete habits. Thanks in advace.

-Runi
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Fundamental flaw in directory structure = inoperable installation?

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-12, 20:24

Hi Runi,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

About the executables, can you try and leave them in the places they've been built and just call them via their full path at the command line? Please see item 3 near the bottom of section Running the new Programs.
This also helps with getting CaWE's working directory right and might help with the second problem.

CaWE should normally be able to find the related programs by itself, but can you please verify in the dialog shown at The Configure CaWE Options Dialog if the paths look all right?
Best regards,
Carsten
Runi

Post by Runi » 2017-02-13, 00:04

Running the command

Code: Select all

runi@runi-SATELLITE-C70D-C-12U ~/Documents/runiland/cafu/cafu $ ./build/linux2/g++/release/CaWE/CaWE
starts CaWE like I want it to, and have so far been able to get working. But chosing any of the compile options gets me this

Console initialized.

> compile (quick) /home/runi/Documents/runiland/maps/try.cmap

Map compilation error: './CaBSP' File not found.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-13, 13:01

Hi Runi,
good to hear you made progress!

Can you please check the paths in The Configure CaWE Options Dialog?
Use the "browse" buttons to find the relevant executables, then it should work. (If in doubt, in order to reduce efforts, start with the CaBSP executable and make sure that this is working first, only then set the others.)
Best regards,
Carsten
Runi

Post by Runi » 2017-02-13, 15:02

We have progress again, having directed it to the locations of the executables it then informed me that there weren't any players on the world. I add a player and try again to get this; (p.s thanks for making your error boxes highlightable)

Error:
   Argument: -svGame, Couldn't find match for argument

For help, run:
   /home/runi/Documents/runiland/cafu/cafu/Ca3DE/Cafu --help

Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-14, 08:08

Hi Runi,
I assume you got this message in the console of the CaWE editor?

If so, for a quick resolution, please try to run Cafu directly at the command-line if possible, using --help as necessary. The other console output should give you a clue about the values for the command line options.

I'll also look into the root of the problem in CaWE, but I'll probably need another day or two until I get to it.
Do you keep your map inside DeathMatch/... or is it a custom game directory?
Best regards,
Carsten
Runi

Post by Runi » 2017-02-14, 08:25

Yeah that was in the console of CaWE. As for the maps; they're kept in a custom maps folder a few levels outside of the executables. I'll have to try it with the maps located inside the /DeathMatch/... folder because it looks like launching it from the command line still isn't liking something.

Title; Improperly configured

List "GameLibs" in file CompilerSetup.py is empty.
Here is how far it got in the console;

./runiland/cafu/cafu/Ca3DE/Cafu -svGame "DeathMatch" -svWorld "try"
Cafu Engine, Feb 12 2017
06:13:54: Debug: Program locale set to en_GB (en_GB, English).
Also there's no rush to this, so don't overexert yourself unnecessarily. I'm still having a whale of a time mocking up floor plans and level design.

p.s. Was just about to hit submit when i realised that 'Cafu --help' gave me the same error message. That's quite perculiar.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-15, 12:07

Hi Runi,

I need a bit more information:
  • At what Git commit / branch is the source code that you use?
  • Are your maps kept at Games/DeathMatch/Maps/ and your world files (CaBSP creates them automatically) at Games/DeathMatch/Worlds/?
  • When you post console output, please post the complete console content (all that is related), i.e. both the commands that you typed and their complete output.
Best regards,
Carsten
Runi

Post by Runi » 2017-02-15, 12:43

Okay so i don't know which exact git branch i've got, but i downloaded it a few days ago using the instructions found here; http://www.cafu.de/dive-in/

I have placed my maps in the Games/DeathMatch/Maps/ folder and the world files are in the /Worlds/ folder.

As for the console output, this is me launching CaWE, loading a map, clicking runquick with "run engine" ticked. (note that it will successfully compile if i leave that unticked)

runi@runi-SATELLITE-C70D-C-12U ~/Documents/runiland/cafu/cafu $ ./build/linux2/g++/debug/CaWE/CaWE
10:27:36: Debug: Program locale set to en_GB (en_GB, English).

Scanning cwd for all available renderers...
Scanning Libs/build/linux2/g++/debug/MaterialSystem for all available renderers...
Libs/build/linux2/g++/debug/MaterialSystem/libRendererOpenGL12.so ... 
Libs/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12/RendererImpl.cpp (75): Entering RendererImplT::IsSupported().
Libs/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12/RendererImpl.cpp (91): GL_VERSION string is "3.0 Mesa 12.0.6".
Libs/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12/RendererImpl.cpp (99): GL_ARB_multitexture_AVAIL==1.
SUCCESS - first supported renderer (Pref# 1000).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/debug/MaterialSystem/libRendererNull.so ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/debug/MaterialSystem/libRendererCgARB1.so ... SUCCESS - higher preference renderer (Pref# 2100).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/debug/MaterialSystem/libRendererARBprogs.so ... SUCCESS - higher preference renderer (Pref# 2200).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/debug/MaterialSystem/libRendererCgNV2X.so ... FAILED - renderer says it's not supported.
Reloading previously auto-selected renderer Libs/build/linux2/g++/debug/MaterialSystem/libRendererARBprogs.so ...
10:27:43: Debug: Created OrthoBspTreeT with 94 elements in 955 nodes.

(CaWE:10952): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_origin: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(CaWE:10952): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_origin: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/Kai/barrel_rst_norm.png".
10:27:44: Debug: Beginning to cache in materials.
10:27:44: Debug: Caching in material number 0 of 825 materials.
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/betruger.tga".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/bet2.tga".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/bet.tga".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/teeth.tga".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/tongue.tga".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/imp_d.tga".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/lfwall2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/lfwall2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/lfwall15.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/lfwall15a.tga".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/D3Test/elec_box3_d.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Models/Hand_diff.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/Ahorn/AhornBark.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/Ahorn/AhornLeaves.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/CrepeMyrtle/CrepeMyrtleBark.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/CrepeMyrtle/CrepeMyrtleBlossoms_MD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/CrepeMyrtle/CrepeMyrtleBlossoms_MD_2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/CrepeMyrtle/CrepeMyrtleLeaves_MD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/CrepeMyrtle/CrepeMyrtleLeaves_MD_2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakBark.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_HD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_HD_2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_HD_3.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_HD_4.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_HD_5.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_LD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_MD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_MD_2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/EnglishOak/EnglishOakLeaves_MD_3.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/Ficus/FicasBark.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/Ficus/FicasLeaves_MD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/Ficus/FicasLeaves_MD_2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/WhitePine/WhitePineBark.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/WhitePine/WhitePineNeedles_GD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/WhitePine/WhitePineNeedles_GD_2.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/WhitePine/WhitePineNeedles_MD_1.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Plants/WhitePine/WhitePineNeedles_MD_2.png".
10:27:46: Debug: Caching in material number 100 of 825 materials.
10:27:49: Debug: Caching in material number 200 of 825 materials.
10:27:51: Debug: Caching in material number 300 of 825 materials.
10:27:53: Debug: Caching in material number 400 of 825 materials.
10:27:54: Debug: Caching in material number 500 of 825 materials.
10:27:56: Debug: Caching in material number 600 of 825 materials.
10:27:56: Debug: Caching in material number 700 of 825 materials.
10:27:57: Debug: Caching in material number 800 of 825 materials.
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes/Snow2_px.png".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/Terrains/ps_Texture_1k_a.png".
10:27:58: Debug: Done caching in 825 materials.
^C
runi@runi-SATELLITE-C70D-C-12U ~/Documents/runiland/cafu/cafu $ 
and then a box titled "Cafu Engine" pops up saying

Error:
   Argument: -svGame, Couldn't find match for argument

For help, run:
   /home/runi/Documents/runiland/cafu/cafu/Ca3DE/Cafu --help

But I've just made a little discovery, for some reason using the -g and -w flags through the commandline runs cafu and the worlds perfectly fine, but the flags CaWE wants to use doesn't work for some reason.

For example; This is me attempting to use the flags CaWE does and leading to a halted program and that popup again.

runi@runi-SATELLITE-C70D-C-12U ~/Documents/runiland/cafu/cafu $ ./build/linux2/g++/debug/Ca3DE/Cafu -SvGame "DeathMatch" -SvWorld "Triton intercepted"
Cafu Engine, Feb 12 2017
10:39:54: Debug: Program locale set to en_GB (en_GB, English).
config.lua processed.
runi@runi-SATELLITE-C70D-C-12U ~/Documents/runiland/cafu/cafu $ 
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-16, 12:23

Ah, found the problem. If you want a quick solution, edit file CaWE/MapEditor/ChildFrame.cpp and replace in line 2357
-svGame with --sv-game and
-svWorld with --sv-world, so that the result looks like this:

PendingCompileCommands.PushBack(Options.general.EngineExe +
                        " --sv-game \"" + m_Doc->GetGameConfig()->Name + "\"" +
                        " --sv-world \"" + WorldName.GetName() + "\"" + Params);
Sorry for the trouble! :oops:
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-26, 15:24

I had this problem on Windows as well, the fix worked for me thank you
Its worth a mention that "log" also need two -- now