GUI issues

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
arfur9
GUI issues

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-25, 19:14

None of the gui patches seem to work, with Cafu-bin-2016-10-20-win32, for example ReallyQuit_main.cgui is throwing errors at line 48 which is

Code: Select all

function ReallyQuit.ButtonYes:OnFrame()
    if (ReallyQuit:get("pos.y")>=595) then
        -- Work around the limitation above (we have not yet   onTime xy   functions as Doom3 has).
        ci.RunCommand("quit=true;");
    end
end
as the mouse enters and leaves the buttons react but mouse down does nothing
the earlier version seems the same
I'm using Windows 10 I don't know if that has anything to do with it?
arfur9

Re: GUI issues

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-25, 21:54

ok I see why ReallyQuit isn't working but I can't get the testGUI working either, the fps are showing in game and it works in the GUI editor but nothing else works in a level

edit....
The plot thickens if I use the mouse and enter a button and press 0 it works.. I happened to see some really small text in the techpreview lol
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-26, 11:57

Hi arfur9,

I'm sorry to say that I don't understand anything in your posts (is this a question, after all?).
If there is a problem, please describe step by step what environment you're using (OS, source code version, etc.) and especially what you did and how the problem can be reproduced.
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-26, 13:06

I'm having problems with patches
For example the Gui control panel in the techdemo, with a binary built in 2013 if I hover over the red button and press "0" it works this is on Windows and Linux, I expected left mouse click to work because it seems to work fine in the GUI Builder, I didn't notice the text on the panel that said press "0"
However with the version I just compiled pressing "0" no longer works
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-26, 14:24

I saved the console to text, I hope it helps

Code: Select all

Cafu Engine, Feb 26 2017
config.lua processed.

Scanning cwd for all available renderers...
Scanning Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/MaterialSystem for all available renderers...
Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/MaterialSystem/RendererARBprogs.dll ... SUCCESS - first supported renderer (Pref# 2200).
Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/MaterialSystem/RendererCgARB1.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 2100).
Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/MaterialSystem/RendererCgNV2X.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 2000).
Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/MaterialSystem/RendererNull.dll ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 1000).
Reloading previously auto-selected renderer Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/MaterialSystem/RendererARBprogs.dll ...

Scanning cwd for all available sound systems...
Scanning Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/SoundSystem for all available sound systems...
Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/SoundSystem/SoundSysNull.dll ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/SoundSystem/SoundSysOpenAL.dll ... SUCCESS - first supported sound system (Pref# 1500).
Reloading previously auto-selected sound system Libs/build/win32/vc12/amd64/release/SoundSystem/SoundSysOpenAL.dll ...
cannot open Games/DeathMatch/Scripts/Mover.lua: No such file or directory
Level changed on server.
OK

Connecting to 127.0.0.1:30000
(timeout 8.0 seconds)...

PCLP: Got a connection request from 127.0.0.1:33000
Player joined.
Entity of type CompanyBot created.
Warning: Lua error in call to custom file: Games/DeathMatch/Scripts/CompanyBot.lua:
Games/DeathMatch/Scripts/CompanyBot.lua:7: attempt to index local 'LanternEnt' (a nil value)
Load World "TechDemo".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "Games/DeathMatch/$lightmap".
Warning: Could not load the bitmap at "./file-not-found".
Warning: Lua error in call to custom file: Games/DeathMatch/Scripts/CompanyBot.lua:
Games/DeathMatch/Scripts/CompanyBot.lua:7: attempt to index local 'LanternEnt' (a nil value)
Warning: The call to method OnMouseButtonDown() yielded (expected return values matching signature "i>b" instead).
Warning: The call to method OnMouseButtonDown() yielded (expected return values matching signature "i>b" instead).
Warning: The call to method OnMouseButtonUp() yielded (expected return values matching signature "i>b" instead).
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-27, 11:23

You're right, I can see this here and will look into it.
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-27, 12:34

Thanks Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-03-04, 12:12

I've added a ticket for this, please see https://bitbucket.org/cafu/cafu/issues/ ... -gui-state for details.
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-03-04, 14:14

ok thanks, I hope its something easily fixed
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-05-23, 13:55

I was just wondering if you had found/fixed the problem yet? I don't see any update on the tracker, so I'm guessing no :)

I call in everyday to see how things are going, I noticed there was a commit recently which I've just built
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-05-23, 15:33

Your message is a good one:
Indeed I have not been able to look into it as quickly as desired, as I had a lot of other tedious work to do.
But I have started. :up:
I took a somewhat broad approach, also looking at code around the places that need change, because it was a while since I last worked with the entity system and I wanted to be sure to get things right.

So while I'm still here with bare hands (I have a few "indirectly related" commits though, waiting for getting pushed), there is some progress, after all.

Thanks for your patience!
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-05-24, 14:01

The GUI feature is something that looks very useful.. with a puzzle driven game it could be great

BUT I can imagine it being difficult to keep motivated when people come and go, I was a beta tester for Thea Render for years and did a few "helper" programs for batch rendering, animated mesh sequences and stitching images, these project were a lot easier to do when I had a personal use for them.. the batch rendering one is my labour of love lol

There's no rush, this time of year I probably shouldn't be on the pc lol
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-06-24, 10:24

There is now code in master that addresses the GUI synchronization over the network.

You'll quickly note that it is not free of problems though: Even the mouse pointer is now part of the world state, thus noticeably laggy. (You could stand next to another player who is operating a GUI and see him move the mouse pointer, along with any other detail changes in the GUI.) I'll continue working on this, but with the current state it should provide all the basic functionality that is needed to implement game features.
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-06-24, 15:04

Thanks, its working although mouse click doesn't preform a click, "0" works.. but I've only tried the consoles in TechDemo and the Physics test maps on Windows 10
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-07-05, 11:30

Just a quick note: I've had to fix a bug in CaWE first, but now I've started working on using the fire-button for GUI clicks.

It's a problem (and has not been done earlier) because even on the server where the new state is computed we need to know not only the state of the button ("is down") but also the event ("just went down", "just went up"), so that a fire button that is constantly held down is not counted as an individual click into a GUI window in each server frame.

The problem is similar to respawns: After the player has been killed, we want him explicitly to release the button, then click again in order to respawn. Otherwise, if a player was killed while he held the fire button down he would respawn immediately.

And finally the same with jumps: If after the end of a jump the jump button is still down, a new jump should only be initiated after the button has been released and re-pressed.
Best regards,
Carsten