[SOLVED]Serious question about Cafu.exe and CaWE rendering problems.

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
daxtorque
[SOLVED]Serious question about Cafu.exe and CaWE rendering problems.

Post by daxtorque » 2018-08-20, 06:51

Hi all! Very excited to get started on this engine, sent an email to Mr. Fuchs to see if he can help me diagnose it, but posting here.

Originally I tried compiling Cafu on Visual Studio 2010, but got a <chrono> namespace error, searched it up, found I should update to VS 2013, no problem.

VS 2013 compiled with no issues but when I open the exe for Cafu it just presents me with a black screen and crashes, and CaWE just blanks out when it can't find a proper renderer to use.

I am lost and frustrated from a long night of decompiling GLWF libaries to finally get it to compile right. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by daxtorque on 2018-08-22, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Serious question about Cafu.exe and CaWE rendering problems.

Post by Carsten » 2018-08-20, 10:30

Hi Dax,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

Are there any error messages when you run Cafu.exe from the console?

Btw., why was it a problem compiling GLFW? Did you install from the Git repositories as explained at Getting Started with the Cafu Source Code?
Best regards,
Carsten
daxtorque

Post by daxtorque » 2018-08-20, 14:12

Carsten wrote:Hi Dax,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

Are there any error messages when you run Cafu.exe from the console?

Btw., why was it a problem compiling GLFW? Did you install from the Git repositories as explained at Getting Started with the Cafu Source Code?
Sadly I have no error logs to show you.

I will try to run the git from the command line this time because what I originally did was just click download on that page, and I will try to run it in Visual Studio 2015.
daxtorque

Post by daxtorque » 2018-08-20, 14:15

Okay, scratch this. I managed to generate an error log this time.

Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2018-08-21, 09:55

Hi Dax,

ok, we're getting closer: this is the right error log (actually, it's the console output), but not complete.
Can you select and copy the entire text contents of that window, or, better yet, open a command line window and run the Cafu.exe from there? See Running the new Programs.
Best regards,
Carsten
daxtorque

Post by daxtorque » 2018-08-21, 14:12

Carsten wrote:Hi Dax,

ok, we're getting closer: this is the right error log (actually, it's the console output), but not complete.
Can you select and copy the entire text contents of that window, or, better yet, open a command line window and run the Cafu.exe from there? See Running the new Programs.
You're not going to believe it, I managed to solve it on my own. It turns out my color mode for my monitor was displaying in 16 bit and not 32 bit. Do you know why the engine won't show the menu in 16 bit? It basically went from a 16 bit color mode black screen, to a 32 bit menu. Jeez. 2 days and that was the error!

I am still curious about why it doesn't work in 16 bit. Maybe you can explain that to me.

Thanks again for everything.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2018-08-21, 22:03

It's great to hear that you solved the problem! :wohow:

Why exactly it didn't work with 16 BPP is difficult to tell from here, as I cannot see the details of your system. However, I actually would have expected quite the opposite, namely that it doesn't work with 16 BPP at all and quits with an error message: In fact, we do not support 16 BPP, because some of the features require 8 BPP for each red, green and blue, 8 BPP alpha channel, 8 BPP stencil buffer and 16 BPP depth buffer. Normally, this is checked and validated on program start. However, possibly the changes that I recently made regarding the GLFW library may have caused this. I currently don't remember the details by heart, though, so I guess we just have to live with that the problem is resolved. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten