Mac port

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
vmp
Mac port

Post by vmp » 2006-03-14, 01:11

hi
is there any news on the release of the mac port
thanks
arthur
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-03-14, 01:49

Hello :)
I remember that question quite some time ago...there is no mac port simply because Carsten would need a mac to work with.
Here is the original text:
Principally, Ca3DE can also easily be ported to additional platforms. For example, all that currently stops me from porting it to the Mac is that I neither have the hardware nor software that would be required for a port.
vmp

Post by vmp » 2006-03-14, 02:07

i just thought it was under progress from what in the
"Cross-Platform and Cross-Compiler Portability" section of the front page it says
"A port to the Mac OS is in preparation"
thanks
arthur
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-03-14, 10:37

Arthur, yes, "A port to the Mac OS is in preparation" means that I consider Mac OS for all my code design descisions and planning, but as Kai said, I just lack the hardware and software to actually complete and provide a Mac release right now.
As I spend all my time working on the Ca3D-Engine core, the upcoming TechDemo etc., active Mac development is currently only possible if there is a severe commercial interest in it, as I had to buy the hardware, the software, and -most importantly- stop all other Ca3DE development while I complete the port.
Best regards,
Carsten
Stephen

Post by Stephen » 2006-07-27, 13:01

Carsten wrote:As I spend all my time working on the Ca3D-Engine core, the upcoming TechDemo etc., active Mac development is currently only possible if there is a severe commercial interest in it, as I had to buy the hardware, the software, and -most importantly- stop all other Ca3DE development while I complete the port.
Doesn't Apple include the Xcode Developer tools for free? I think it might just be an IDE for gcc, but I'm pretty sure it's free.

btw, A mac port wouldn't be much different than the linux one, except for the UI (dialog boxes etc.), wouldn't it?

-Stephen
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-07-27, 15:22

btw, A mac port wouldn't be much different than the linux one, except for the UI (dialog boxes etc.), wouldn't it?
Uhm, no. Since Mac is PPC and also Universal Binary based now, there are much complications. Also, OS X doesnt use the X-Window System, who Linux/Unix uses, after all. It uses an own "Window-System" or whatever it could be called. The only thing that is maybe possible with the Linux sourcecode is maybe to make a port for GNU-Darwin and/or other Darwin-Distributions on the top of GNU-software (like X is).

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-07-27, 15:37

Stephen wrote:btw, A mac port wouldn't be much different than the linux one, except for the UI (dialog boxes etc.), wouldn't it?
I honestly don't know.
All OS-specific UI / GUI issues would be handled by the wxWidgets toolkit, but other close-to-the-system-issues like OpenGL, sound, mouse+keybord input, networking etc. might take some time (even though it are often just the details that need some adjustment).

In general, I don't think that a Mac port would be very hard to do, but it just takes time to familiarize myself with everything and look into all the details.

Again, I'm still planning to provide a Mac port in the medium term, but as long as there is no immediate and good reason, I just cannot afford to purchase the required hard- and software.
Best regards,
Carsten