multiplayer

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Shadow
multiplayer

Post by Shadow » 2004-08-29, 21:36

has it been tested online? we r having problems connecting...
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Kai

Post by Kai » 2004-08-29, 21:38

We tried it out quite some time ago, with 4 player, all over i-net and it worked perfect.

Maybe i can try it ?
What is the current IP ?
Kai

Post by Kai » 2004-08-29, 22:54

Looks like it worked huh ? ^^
After using my PC as a server, all worked fine ..

I hope Shadow is making his new targets come true and is modding the current DM mod code :)
FraGGer

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-29, 23:05

yeah and im working on the crouch script and some misc stuff :D
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-08-30, 00:46

Kai, what kinda of connection are you using? I think the reason it didnt work 4 ne1 else was cause of routing issues...
Fragger, crouch would be awesome but do the current models support it? Try and get a more realistic moving system done if u can since its same concept.
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Kai

Post by Kai » 2004-08-30, 01:56

I have a standart 128/768 DSL conection..
The stuttering moving of all elements is not related to the conection speed, its a problem of the engine. So far, Carsten knows about this prblem since we played quiate a while ago, and he added a lot of those "flaws" to a list.

Since the DM mod is not that important so far, there are other things with higher priority.
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-08-30, 04:13

was wondering cause nobody i know has ever been able 2 host with dsl. what did you do with your router?
by bug in engine do you mean it lacks prediction or what? carsten i would be glad to write some multiplayer routines if you would like...
Was also thinking of changing chat a bit and adding a nice HUD
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-08-30, 11:41

Shadow wrote:was wondering cause nobody i know has ever been able 2 host with dsl.
DSL principally does not affect hosting, except for its inherent connection speed. If you cannot host via DSL, there are probably other factors involved (e.g. your DSL provider enforces some restrictions etc.)
by bug in engine do you mean it lacks prediction or what?
It doesn't lack prediction, as you can see on your own very smooth movement even across a slow server connection.
What is does lack is interpolation of the spatial origins of other players, which lets you see their very abrupt movements.
carsten i would be glad to write some multiplayer routines if you would like...
What exactly do you have in mind? Note that any prediction issues are a highly complicated matter.
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-08-31, 03:55

the interpolation of other people i have coded before... just not in c++.
and i dont really know how your multiplayer system works so im just gonna make a manual system from the dmatch code using the position/orientation vars and the system clock
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-08-31, 10:27

Shadow wrote:and i dont really know how your multiplayer system works
Yes, that's pretty well encapsulated in the core code. Just the special rules defined in the comments in HumanPlayer.cpp indicate that there is actually prediction going on underneath. ;)
so im just gonna make a manual system from the dmatch code using the position/orientation vars and the system clock
Great to hear that, I'm looking forward to the results.
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-02, 01:39

how do you get around firewalls? i tried setting my DMZ hosting on from my router, tried port forwarding but i just cant seem to figure it out...
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-02, 11:40

Shadow wrote:how do you get around firewalls? i tried setting my DMZ hosting on from my router, tried port forwarding but i just cant seem to figure it out...
Well, you don't provide enough details about your network for a detailed statement, but here is some general advice:

If you try to connect to a Ca3DE server that is located within a "DMZ" and try to connect to it from within your LAN, please read this: http://www.fli4l.de/german/extern/artic ... arding.txt (Text is in German).

Besides that, if you properly configure your router to forward port 30000 to the Ca3DE server IP, it should work.
No other special measure is involved as far as Ca3DE is concerned.
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-02, 18:38

ok i will try forwarding that port. is anybody willing to test sometime this weekend? im in the states tho (timzon GMT -6) so it might be hard to get a time... one more question, do i use the router IP as the host ip or my computers ip? and im pretty sure i forward the port to my computers ip right?
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-02, 23:48

Shadow wrote:one more question, do i use the router IP as the host ip or my computers ip?
For clients that are connected to the internet choose the routers (public) IP as the host IP. Your computers IP is local to your LAN only, and not visible from public internet.
and im pretty sure i forward the port to my computers ip right?
Right.
Let us know if it works. ;)
Oh, and just in the case that you could not read the text about "inner port forwarding" that I mentioned above: You can NOT access the server in your LAN from a computer that is also in the LAN via the routers public internet IP, even if port forwarding is enabled. The article above explains why that is the case. You CAN of course access it via the servers IP that is local to the LAN, OR from outside of the LAN via the routers public IP.
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-04, 22:23

i think im just stupid or something...
but for port forwarding it asks 4 a range of ports? should i just do 30000-30000 or what? and to figure out my local ip to forward the port to will looking at the active connections on the router work? cause im having trouble finding it
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!