WikiEditors Group

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Stephen
WikiEditors Group

Post by Stephen » 2006-08-08, 14:20

Can I add myself to the WikiEditors group? I reckon I could write a couple of basic CaWE tutorials (I have experience with hammer) and so on...

Thanks,

-Stephen
Stephen

Post by Stephen » 2006-08-08, 14:22

OK, I didn't see the wiki post before. I added myself to the user group.

-Stephen
Stephen

Post by Stephen » 2006-08-11, 09:44

What are the minimum system requirements of CaWE? I am going to install it on this machine (400MHz / 320 MB Ram) in Linux, so I can make some mapping tutorials. Will it run acceptably? I know I don't have any chance of running the actual engine on this machine though . :cry:.

-Stephen
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-08-11, 21:05

Hi Stephen,
Stephen wrote:Will it run acceptably? I know I don't have any chance of running the actual engine on this machine though . :cry:.
Well, if you don't mind, just try it out please.
It's quasi impossible to say "CaWE requires x MB of RAM, y MHz of CPU etc." and it works if the system meets that requirements and doesn't otherwise. If you really want me to, I could come up with some conservative figures of course (e.g. 1 GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM), but I would still recommend to try it on your specific system anyway. If it runs at a performance that is adequate for your, then why not? ;)
Oh, and the same applies to the Ca3D-Engine itself - if you happen to have 3D hardware acceleration on your Linux machine, it should work, too.

( :idea: This is maybe the most important point: You'll most likely need 3D h/w acceleration. Without it, the rendering performance will probably become the limiting bottleneck very quickly.)
Best regards,
Carsten
Stephen

Post by Stephen » 2006-08-12, 07:00

The editor runs OK, but a little slow. That should be fine for making tutorials in. I haven't tried the demo, but I will later today. The machine does have a 16MB graphics card (riva TNT) and I've installed nVidia drivers, but I doubt it will be playable on such a slow processot.

-Stephen