F1 is the new "toggle console" key

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Carsten
Site Admin
F1 is the new "toggle console" key

Post by Carsten » 2006-12-07, 20:56

Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that not only I finished my revision of the in-game console code to make it being based on Lua from now on (that in fact is old news, it was complete already the day before yesterday ;) ), but also that starting with the next release, the new key for toggling the console on and off will be the F1 key. :idea:

This is because today I spent with finally fixing all those terrible keyboard input problems when typing commands into the console - typing a simple statement like

Code: Select all

cf.help();
can be like hell if you have a German keyboard with a forced US layout, and you need minutes to figure out where the brackets and the semicolon are. :twisted:

Well, the issue is fixed now both on Windows and Linux, the new code is very nice and clean, and it's a great deal for the users. :wohow:

Well, another matter was the "toggle console" key. We originally used the "tilde" or "accent grave" key near the top left of the keyboard, but it turned out that with German keyboard, this key is treated as a "dead key" by Windows. That is, when you press it, normally nothing appears on screen, but if you press e.g. "a" next, "â" appears.
The consequence and real problem is that this can be very disturbing for entering commands at the in-game console: You type "^" for opening the console, type the first character of the first command next, for example "h" for "help", but the command that appears is "^help", which in turn yields an error message - Doom3 suffers from this problem to this very day. Apparently the key is no dead key with US keyboard layouts...
Well, I was looking for ways to work-around this problem, but it turned out that everything is right and as it should be - just the assignment of this key as the "toggle console" key was a mistake from the beginning. Therefore, I now assigned the much more logical F1 key for toggling the console - the change will be included with the next release.
:groupwave1:
Best regards,
Carsten