Upcoming February 2007 release - RCs available!

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-03, 14:50

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your feedback, albeit strange. Please help me debug:
  • Did you uncompress the zip file properly so that the directory structure has been preserved?
  • Did you run Ca3DE.exe by double-click in Windows Explorer or by command-line? (Did you run it so that the "working directory" was the same directory the Ca3DE.exe is in?)
  • What is the contents of the folder that contains the Ca3DE.exe file?
  • Could you please copy the Ca3DE console output (the text in the "DOS-Box") here?
  • You're running Windows 2000 or XP, right?
Please let me know!
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-05, 20:36

Release Update (RC3 released):

I've just uploaded the third release candidate (RC3) to http://carsten.ca3de-community.de/Ca3DE-Demo-RC3.zip (roughly 235 MB). :cheesy:

Many things have improved since RC2 (many not mentioned in the above list), some are still open.
Again, please test, and let me know what you think!

For RC3, essentially the same notes as for RC1 and RC2 above :arrowu: apply, please read them, direkt link is http://www.ca3d-engine.de/phpBB2/viewto ... =2197#2197 :book:

Specific open issues with RC3:
  • The GUIs (two emergency exit GUIs near the player starting point, one near the reactor core at the basement) have not yet been updated, I'll post a patch tomorrow (small download size).
  • The issue with the too bright pixels is still not fixed. I'm still working on it though with good progress, and depending on my results I'll make another release candidate (RC4) or not.
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-06, 14:10

Update / good news:
I just managed to fix that "too bright pixels on bezier patches in dark areas" problem. :cop:
So I guess that instead of providing a patch for the GUIs later today, I rather provide another RC (RC4) in a few days.

In the meanwhile, please let me know what you think about the RC3. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2007-02-06, 15:07

Hey Carsten when are you going to include Cawe?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-06, 18:59

scott wrote:Hey Carsten when are you going to include Cawe?
The current plan is to release an updated SDK either together with the upcoming final release, or shortly thereafter.
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2007-02-08, 01:37

Well I gave this new release a shot and looks fantastic, I'm glad you put the extra Trinity's in and that rocket launcher, the lighting effects look great! :)

Are you planning on dropping that that pre-loader interface anytime soon? Now that you have the lua scripting it would be better to have an in-game menu so users can change controls, adjust resolution etc etc

Any plans for moving objects? (Doors, elevators etc?)

Keep up the great work!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-08, 11:12

Hi Scott,
well, yes, quasi all issues that you mention are planned for the release after the next. Here is the priority list of things I plan to do as soon as the current release is final and out:
  1. Map (entity) scripting. Will of course be Lua based and (among other features) address everything that can be triggered, inclusive moving objects.
  2. Vegetation for the island.
  3. Enhancements to the ConSys and GuiSys, whose combination is supposed to replace the current initial dialog.
Btw., RC4 is currently compiling (running CaLight on the map). Unless an unexpected late showstopper occurs, this will also be the RC that is turned to final. :chef:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-12, 21:36

Release Update (RC4 released):

I've just uploaded the fourth release candidate (RC4) to http://carsten.ca3de-community.de/Ca3DE-Demo-RC4.zip (roughly 221 MB). :cheesy:

This release is highly likely to be turned into the final public February 2007 demo release, and unless something grave happens, I'll do the public move and news announcement etc. tomorrow night, that is, in about 24 hours. :up:

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those who have tested and reviewed the release candidates and provided feed-back. The decision to make pre-releases available in this "RC" form has been a good and worthwhile experience, and helped significantly to make a quality release. :thanks:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-13, 14:21

Hi again,

I've just renamed the RC4 into the final release candidate. :demo:

Therefore, all above links cease to work, but you can download the file now at the "normal" places at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/download.php?view.1

I'll continue to update the website later today with more screenshots, newspostings etc.
Also, now that the release is "official", I'll close this thread. Please post any feed-back, questions or suggestions into new threads in the appropriate (sub-)forums.
Best regards,
Carsten