Problem with techdemo map

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
scott
Problem with techdemo map

Post by scott » 2007-02-18, 08:52

Hi Carsten, when I load the tech demo map from the latest build I cant spawn properly in the map. Pressing the fire button will spawn the player for a second then it switches back to the "Press fire to respawn" message. During this split second you can move and turn a little then you snap back to the spawn point.
Trinity pops up in the scene ok. The console is also clogged up with this message that keeps repeating over and over.

Client Info: ca3d-engine\ca3de\both\engineentity.cpp L412: DeltaFrameNr> EntityStateFrameNr

All the other maps in the download work fine.

PS. I noticed you added a light emiting grenade, it looks good. I fired it accidently when mashing keys to see if I could get any response while clicking the fire button. :)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-18, 15:13

Hi Scott,

well, thanks for your report.
This sounds like trouble with the network system.

I've recently seen a case on a friends computer where he disabled the MAC (hardware) address of his computers on-board network interface in the BIOS settings. (I seriously wonder how disabling the MAC address makes sense in the first place and how it is possible at all...). However, while it was disabled, Ca3DE showed terrible stuttering while the player moved, looking around with the mouse was fine though (the latter bypasses the network anyway).
Then, we he re-enabled the MAC address in the BIOS, after a reboot the problem was gone and Ca3DE ran perfectly (and he suddenly got much higher scores in BF2, too).

Well, I'd like you to check whether you have similar unusual network settings:
  • Do you have a firewall (personal firewall or Windows built-in) enabled?
  • Any (online) virus scanners?
  • Does it help if you temporarily turn them off?
  • Any special network-related setting in your mainboard BIOS or network driver?
  • Any changes to the MTU (maximum transmission unit) or MSS (maximum segment size) settings?
  • Any other special network configuration?
  • Any similar problems with other games? (I don't think it's a problem with Ca3DE code, it rather seems to receive bad packets from localhost.)
  • Did one of the Release Candidates recently work properly on the same computer? If so, which one?
Oh, and a quick info: I'll move this thread soon to the proper bug reports forum at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5
Just in case you're looking for it in Ca3D-Engine Discussion. ;)

Okay, please let me know about the details, I'm sure we'll get this fixed.
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2007-02-19, 06:43

Well the problem was my firewall. Zone alarm version 6.5.737.000
I switched it off and the map ran just fine. Its strange that it effected only the tech demo map and no other. As for the other release candidates, they all ran fine on this system.

Thanks for the help
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-02-19, 11:44

Thanks for the good news, nice to hear the problem is solved. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten