Plans for the upcoming June 2007 release

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Carsten
Site Admin
Plans for the upcoming June 2007 release

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-20, 13:44

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know the plans for the upcoming June 2007 release:
The minimum set of new features will be support for more model file formats (.lwo, probably a lot more like .3ds etc.), the latest CaWE (fixed to work well with a window height of 720 pixels, for making Wink tutorials), and the latest game code, the main subject of my recent efforts.

Moreover, the release will be a "combined" release: The artificial separation of Ca3DE into demo and SDK packages will be dropped, and instead a single file will contain both the demo as well as all SDK files for both Windows and Linux.

I don't know yet how mature the game/scripting code will be at the release date, but it would be no problem to make another July release later. The planned tree rendering code will probably also have to wait until the July release, sorry for that.

So far the news. :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2007-05-21, 09:38

I like the sound of new Model formats. Would you consider looking into the .obj format?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-21, 10:23

Hi Scott, my plan is to use the Irrlicht library to add support for more model file formats, as they have great code and a very liberal license. If all goes well, all these file formats will soon be supported (in addition to those already available: .mdl (Half-Life 1), .ase and .md5 (Doom3)):
  • Lightwave objects (.lwo)
  • 3D Studio meshes (.3ds)
  • B3D files (.b3d)
  • Alias Wavefront Maya (.obj)
  • Cartography shop 4 (.csm)
  • COLLADA (.xml, .dae)
  • DeleD (.dmf)
  • FSRad oct (.oct)
  • Irrlicht scenes (.irr)
  • Microsoft DirectX (.x) (binary & text)
  • Milkshape (.ms3d)
  • My3DTools 3 (.my3D)
  • OGRE meshes (.mesh)
  • Pulsar LMTools (.lmts)
  • Quake 3 levels (.bsp)
  • Quake 2 models (.md2)
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2007-05-21, 13:30

Oh that is awesome, great news!! :)
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-05-29, 10:18

Hi,I remember a few years ago considering Ca3d as a game engine to "make" a game with so I really only remember a very early version of the demo.It is wonderful Carsten you have worked so hard all this time to always keep up with modern trends,and am absolutely impressed with the new 02/07 demo,I haven't downloaded the SDK yet but a demo + sdk combined seems a really good idea.
Thank you.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-29, 10:46

Hehe... :cheesy:
Thanks for the feed-back! ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2007-05-29, 11:20

Well the support of additional model files ist ust another step into the right direction.

In the last months, the additions to the Ca3DE engine were just awesome. I mean ok the techdeo looks great (and could look much better with better content), but the real power of Ca3DE is it's flexibilitxy.

I mean we have so many opportunities to work with. THe mapping editor CaWE let's us create brush-based maps, but we can also do battlefield-style maps with heightmaps and LoD-models. The material system for texture handling can accomplish everything you can wish when dealing with textures., within seconds you can completely and easily change values and add other texture types (diffuse, normal, specular, luminance....). Then, the GUI is completely scripted with LUA so we can change in minutes the whole GUI without knowing anything about C++. Same is for ingame gui-displays when trying to do computer displays or else. Now the next major release will feature enity scripting with LUA, then, you can just do ANYTHING with the engine. And then the speed-tree-like vegetationr endering system...

There are so many cool things that can be accomplished now that I can't even decide which one to start :D
Great work, Carsten For independent developers who work in small teams this is the most important things. A big flexibility and powerful tools are most important, and that's what Ca3DE has :)

BTW: Jojimbo, welcome to the forums. I encourage you to test the techdemo, but don't stop there. It is still wip and much content is far from optimum. You will really experience the full power of this engine when seeing how development works with it. If you wish, we can give you a quick (or long ;) ) introducton on working with this engine. We can meet in our IRC chat or exchange mails or PM's if you want.

Greetings,
Thrawn
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-29, 16:40

Hi all!

Thrawn, thanks for the great feature summary of Ca3DE! :cheesy: ;)
In the spirit of the original posting (announing the next release, listing the features), I'd like to let you know about another detail that I added over the weekend:

The material surface properties were mildly revised (from a users point of view), see the new clip keyword flags documented at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/matsys:c ... r_keywords for information.

Whereas the new projectiles flag is only a minor enhancement for completeness, the new bspPortals flag is crucial (at least internally for the Ca3D-Engine and the CaBSP compiler ;) ). The CaBSP compiler uses this new flag to finally replace its "best guess" about the characteristics of a material with safe knowledge. This is very important for deciding reliably which materials should enter the draw BSP tree and which shouldn't (e.g. invisible ones), and which ones should contribute to the clip world.

Of course I've also updated all existing material definitions (.cmat files) accordingly already (only few explicit changes were required), so if you don't want to dig into the details of BSP tree creation, you can continue to use the upcoming release for mapping as usual. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-05-31, 09:58

Thanks Thrawn,gonna give the sdk a whirl :lol:
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-05-31, 11:27

Hi Jojimbo,
you may want to pick up the latest SDK not from the main website, but from http://www.ca3d-engine.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=334 <-- this one is newer.
The upcoming release mentioned above is also due soon, I just want to finish a few more features first, expecting the release date somewhen next week. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-05-31, 17:31

Thanks Carsten dl'ing now 235kbs ftw :D ill play around a bit later and trinity rocks,lol follows me everywhere,i didnt know whether to shoot her or not hahah
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-06-10, 16:30

More news about the upcoming release:

Bad news is that I have to delay the planned RC1 for another week. :-(
Good news is that that is for all the good reasons:
  • I've found plenty of smaller bugs in CaWE that are the result of the recent introduction of the new Ca3DE File System with the previous release.
    CaWE is relatively asynchronous in its initialization, and thus a few small glitches crept in. To be fixed next week.
  • I've found a nice solution to not have all those model and sprite materials in the CaWE Material Browser, where only mapping-related materials should be shown.
  • When 99% done, I re-did the new file format support code again. Especially the .lwo (LightWave Object) format support was error prone as it was in Irrlicht, now I'm using code that is oriented along the native LightWave code from their own SDK samples ( http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwav ... index.html ). Also to be completed next week. :up:
I'm very sorry for the new, additional delay, but I feel sure that the RC1 will be much more worthwhile with the currently open issues properly put in. :-) Stay tuned! :cool:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-06-17, 11:46

Update:

After the June 2007 release has been delayed, it will eventually be turned and renamed into the July 2007 release, release candidates for which are now available at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=356
:)
Best regards,
Carsten