after the planned 7.12 (December 2007) release has become obsolete in favor of some feature additions, the next release is now scheduled for February 1st, 2008. Therefore, the release version number has been updated to 8.02, for which a new release candidate is now available.
As this RC is subsequent to the 7.12-RC1a, this is RC2 of the 8.02 release:
http://carsten.ca3de-community.de/Ca3DE-8.02-RC2.zip (roughly 270 MB).
[EDIT: RC2 is no longer available as it has been replaced by a more current release. See the newer posts below for the latest link.]
The release candidates will be updated until February 1st, and unless severe errors are found until then, the last release candidate will be turned into the final release on the same day, and be renamed to "February 2008 (8.02) release".
Bugs will be fixed until the release date, but no more features will be added in order to guarantee punctual release this time.
Please test, and let me know what you think!
Very important notes about the 8.02-RC2:
- This is a Release Candidate, not the final demo.
- Minimum System Requirements: 1 GB main RAM (1,5 GB on Windows Vista), 256 MB video (GPU) RAM.
- Important user-visible enhancements since 7.12-RC1a:
- New .cmap file format, reflecting the CaWE editors significantly updated Edit Surfaces tool.
- Replaced the old DeathMatch.fgd game definition file by the newer EntityClassDefs.lua script, supporting code was written/updated accordingly. This change affects nearly all programs from CaWE, the compilers, the engine, to the game code.
- Added a new "func_door" entity class, and added over a dozen example instances to the TechDemo example map.
- I'll post a list with new features since the last major release soon.
- The above link will only work as long as the RC2 is current, which however is to be expected short-lived and to be updated/replaced soon. If you find the link not working, check for more recent RCs or the final release of the Ca3D-Engine demo.
- Issues to address until the final release:
- Fix func_door entity code - teammates don't act as a team yet, several other smaller fixes are pending.
- Fix netcode issue with large number of entities entering the PVS at once.
- Fix "stuttering" of entities at server FPS.
- Replace some (all?) of the TV models with Thrawns latest.