Changing the GUIs (Menus)?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Daniel
Changing the GUIs (Menus)?

Post by Daniel » 2008-05-23, 16:45

Hello again,

I was also wondering how I can change the Main menu and things like that. Like is there a program or do I need to know a certain coding language?

Thanks,
Daniel
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Changing the GUIs (Menus)?

Post by Carsten » 2008-05-25, 14:41

Dear Daniel,
Daniel wrote: I was also wondering how I can change the Main menu and things like that. Like is there a program or do I need to know a certain coding language?
The current "Options" dialog that opens when you start Ca3DE.exe cannot be changed, but it can be skipped entirely. In order to skip the dialog, just run Ca3DE.exe from the command-line with the -skipDialog parameter, or modify the RunCa3DE.bat script accordingly.

If you want to learn about the other command-line parameters of Ca3DE.exe, just use the -help parameter instead.

But the "real" answer to your question is that I'm currently working on this very issue: With the next release, the "Options" dialog will entirely be replaced with an in-game "Main Menu" GUI. This main menu will be created and controlled by Lua scripts, just like all other GUIs in Ca3DE (e.g. the console and other 2D GUIs, as well as the 3D GUIs that you see in the worlds).

All GUIs are initially created as Lua scripts, so if you don't know Lua yet, its worthwhile to learn its basics. The upcoming Ca3DE version will also enhance the implementation for existing GUIs, so if you read the articles in section The Ca3DE GuiSys, please be aware that they're slightly outdated by now and will be updated with the upcoming release (learning Lua will remain essential nonetheless, it's just used a bit differently with the new release).

We've also started work on a graphical GUI editor already, but I don't know yet if that will be finished when the next release is due.
Best regards,
Carsten