Can I get a heads up

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Fefnir7
Can I get a heads up

Post by Fefnir7 » 2008-08-21, 16:28

I've been trying to download this engine but there are speed problem with my computer. ( a different link might help me there )

But what I really want to know are several thing about the program.

1. Does this engine support thirdperson game play? I would assume yes but I don't know.

2. Can stand alone game be made with the demo ( non profit ) like would others have to download the engine just to play?

3. Base on the screenshot I would assume half-life mdl files work but what about other formats like: obj, lwo, 3d max, 3ds, etc.

4. Can regualr enemy (Agrunts, headcrabs, Zombies characters like that) models act just like they do in the half-life game like reactions, the way they attack, chase, retreat and fight each other?

That's all for now. :wink:
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Can I get a heads up

Post by Carsten » 2008-08-21, 20:01

Hi Fefnir,
welcome to the Ca3DE forums!! :welcome:
Fefnir7 wrote:1. Does this engine support thirdperson game play? I would assume yes but I don't know.

2. Can stand alone game be made with the demo ( non profit ) like would others have to download the engine just to play?

3. Base on the screenshot I would assume half-life mdl files work but what about other formats like: obj, lwo, 3d max, 3ds, etc.

4. Can regualr enemy (Agrunts, headcrabs, Zombies characters like that) models act just like they do in the half-life game like reactions, the way they attack, chase, retreat and fight each other?
  1. Yes.
  2. Yes, standalone games are possible, i.e. no dependency on a separate package.
  3. Directly supported file formats are mdl (Half-Life), ase, lwo and md5mesh/md5anim (Doom3, Quake4). Support for COLLADA is currently being prepared. Other formats like 3ds are also implemented, but not well tested. If you want to have support for a model file format that doesn't work out of the box, just let me know, and I'll look into it!
  4. Yes, but this requires some custom coding.
Best regards,
Carsten