A few Questions

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
scott
A few Questions

Post by scott » 2008-09-24, 15:36

Hi Carsten I was just wondering, when will we see proper lighting on terrains?
Also on the Devmaster.net website, the Spherical Harmonic lighting is still listed, whats going on with it, is it still in the engine?

Thanks
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: A few Questions

Post by Carsten » 2008-09-25, 08:35

Dear Scott,

your questions are good ones:
scott wrote:Hi Carsten I was just wondering, when will we see proper lighting on terrains?
The implementation of shadow-maps (in this case as cascaded shadow maps), is one of my next major goals. I realize that the lighting of terrains is currently quite boring and that the Radiosity computations are slow, so this is a big issue to me that I'll address soon.

Right now, we've already begun working on integrating a "true" physics engine into Ca3DE, and I'll post more details about these exciting changes soon.
Work on the lighting and shadows code will begin as soon as the new physics code is finished. :up:
Also on the Devmaster.net website, the Spherical Harmonic lighting is still listed, whats going on with it, is it still in the engine?
You're right, the details on the Devmaster.net site are terribly out of date and need a thorough update!

Independently from that, the SHL code is currently not active, but still there: CaSHL, the SHL-equivalent to CaLight, and general support for SHL-maps in the file formats etc. is still there and works, only the GPU shaders are currently missing. The performance of SHL rendering was cumbersome at the time I wrote my thesis, and I therefore omitted their shaders when I rewrote the Ca3DE Material System. (Also because the current trend is clearly away from lengthy precomputations, but towards immediate results by dynamic lighting.)
However, all related code is still in the latest Ca3DE code base, and is automatically available to those who obtain a source code license.
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2008-09-25, 09:52

Carsten wrote:
The implementation of shadow-maps (in this case as cascaded shadow maps), is one of my next major goals. I realize that the lighting of terrains is currently quite boring and that the Radiosity computations are slow, so this is a big issue to me that I'll address soon.

Right now, we've already begun working on integrating a "true" physics engine into Ca3DE, and I'll post more details about these exciting changes soon.
Work on the lighting and shadows code will begin as soon as the new physics code is finished. :up:
Wow the physics sounds great cant wait to see more
dronelebeau

Post by dronelebeau » 2011-06-21, 00:21

TRUE physics! sounds awesome! me too I can't wait!

edited: oops, necroposting. i am such a noob at these things. :oops:
Logan: Are you Remy LeBeau?
Remy LeBeau: Do I owe you money?
Logan: No.
Remy LeBeau: Then Remy LeBeau, I am.