Couple questions

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Digi
Couple questions

Post by Digi » 2009-02-19, 03:29

I've learned about your engine from a friend, and I'm currently downloading the demo. But while I do so I have a few questions.

Is the source-code to the editors available with the 345$ SDK? Reason asking is to perhaps progress the editor and add in WxAUI Support allowing for multi-tasking. Such as editing multiple maps.

Can you bypass LUA, and just use C++ to create a game. Or is LUA necessary. (Mainly game logic).

Can you use models for levels instead of BSP?

Can you add 3rd party libraries such as SpeedTree? If so whats the difficulty? (SpeedTree

Can you use a 3rd party mapping software for BSP? Such as 3D World Studio
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Couple questions

Post by Carsten » 2009-02-19, 10:12

Dear Digi,
welcome to the Ca3DE forums! :welcome1:
Digi wrote:Is the source-code to the editors available with the 345$ SDK? Reason asking is to perhaps progress the editor and add in WxAUI Support allowing for multi-tasking. Such as editing multiple maps.
The SDK comes with all source code, including those of the tools and the editors.
Editing multiple maps simultaneously is already possible, CaWE can open multiple documents (maps and GUIs) at the same time.
More good news is that I'm currently finishing wxAUI support for CaWE - it's almost done, and we will soon publish release candidates for the new version. :up:
Can you bypass LUA, and just use C++ to create a game. Or is LUA necessary. (Mainly game logic).
This is very flexible, so yes, bypassing is easily possible.
Can you use models for levels instead of BSP?
You can use models in levels, but the main level structure (the gross walls, floors and ceilings) must be made in CaWE, with brushes.
Can you add 3rd party libraries such as SpeedTree? If so whats the difficulty? (SpeedTree
You can, no difficulty. Specially for vegetation we're currently in the progress of adding an own, similar system. It already works and is integrated in CaWE and the engine, but still needs some polishing.
Can you use a 3rd party mapping software for BSP? Such as 3D World Studio
As 3D World Studio can export to Half-Life map that CaWE can import, yes, this is possible.
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-02-19, 11:12

... sneak preview:
CaWE-AUI.png
The new wxAUI advanced user interface of the Ca3DE World Editor (not yet finished).
:cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2009-02-19, 19:03

Wow, looks very promising! Looking forward to try it out :)