Basic support for MMO networking and seamless worlds?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
BlackHornet
Basic support for MMO networking and seamless worlds?

Post by BlackHornet » 2009-06-02, 09:51

Hi, i just found the pages of Ca3D and from my point of view the engine looks really good.

But I have some question (as noted above in the topic). I'm starting a MMO project, SciFi/Cyberpunk settings...something like Bladerunner, Jagged Alliance, Deus Ex...some sort of that, and currently we are working on the concept and project plans.

In that stage of "development" we are looking for engine, that fits our needs, and thats why i'm writing here.
As far as i can see, the current game framework is for single server/client projects (i didnt downloaded, just read the feature list and watch the vid). When creating a MMO we wont need client prediction or pings < 20. The game mechanics will be common MMO like: Select your target, and activate "Automatic Fire". Then the system itself attacks the enemy each x seconds (depending on the weapons refire rate)
With this approach we are dealing to handle 1000-1500 players each zone server in the final releases.

Next point is another important: Seamless worlds...Like said in the last block we will use Zone Servers for handling players and communication. Each Zone will be a different part of the whole world, but they will be connected to each other without portals between (like Morrowind, Oblivion, Gothic series...or World of Warcraft from the MMO games).
Are seamless world supported by the framework or do we have to modify the engine to fit our needs?
In addition: day/night cycle is included into the framework too?

At the moment we plan to realise our project with the upcoming Nebula Device 3, but Ca3D looks really good and the forum support looks better too.

Greetings
Sebastian
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Basic support for MMO networking and seamless worlds?

Post by Carsten » 2009-06-02, 22:58

Dear Sebastian,
welcome to the Ca3DE forums! :welcome1:
BlackHornet wrote:As far as i can see, the current game framework is for single server/client projects
Yes, that's it's "default feature".
However, Ca3DE is not fixed or limited to such network models.
The game mechanics will be common MMO like: Select your target, and activate "Automatic Fire". Then the system itself attacks the enemy each x seconds (depending on the weapons refire rate)
With this approach we are dealing to handle 1000-1500 players each zone server in the final releases.
We're currently implementing an MMO-like game in another project, too, but it will have less than 1000 players. ;)
In theory, the number of players in a Ca3DE world is unrestricted, but there are limits imposed by the physical nature of the internet: The number of characters that can see each other all at the same time is limited, because everyone must send updates to everyone else who can see him, and he must receive updates from everyone else he can see.
Next point is another important: Seamless worlds...Like said in the last block we will use Zone Servers for handling players and communication. Each Zone will be a different part of the whole world, but they will be connected to each other without portals between (like Morrowind, Oblivion, Gothic series...or World of Warcraft from the MMO games).
Are seamless world supported by the framework or do we have to modify the engine to fit our needs?
Bluntly and shortly: Ca3DE has currently no such support built in.

Seamless worlds require either some clever (but easy to pull) tricks with the map editor (and some compromise, like loading pauses), or some custom programming. Of course, the more custom programming you spend, the more will you be able to fine-tune the results to your requirements.

How large do you intend the game world to become?
In addition: day/night cycle is included into the framework too?
Not by default, but this should be really easy to add.
At the moment we plan to realise our project with the upcoming Nebula Device 3, but Ca3D looks really good and the forum support looks better too.
I don't know much about ND3 and how it compares to Ca3DE, but I would guess that it needs at least as much custom programming for the special features that you specify (zone servers, seamless worlds) as Ca3DE...

In summary, Ca3DE does not come with ready-made solutions for MMOs, but if you're ready to add some custom coding, it can certainly be done. In any case, we'd be happy to provide you with any support, technical and otherwise, that you need! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
BlackHornet

Re: Basic support for MMO networking and seamless worlds?

Post by BlackHornet » 2009-06-03, 10:34

Thank you Carsten for your reply and I feel pretty good in here :D

I still have a lot of questions, but there is no need at the moment.

Greets
Sebastian