Model viewer

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
pizzadude223
Model viewer

Post by pizzadude223 » 2010-05-14, 04:12

I extracted the model viewer from the zip file, but it doesn't work. It just opens a command prompt window, does some quick commands then closes. The Map editor works though. Can someone tell me how to make models, NOT MAPS because I know how to make those. I wanna make like guns and people that I can access and run.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Model viewer

Post by Carsten » 2010-05-14, 12:52

Hi Pizzadude,
pizzadude223 wrote:I extracted the model viewer from the zip file, but it doesn't work. It just opens a command prompt window, does some quick commands then closes. The Map editor works though.
The model viewer, like the map editor, requires that the zip file is fully extracted; you cannot extract the ModelViewer.exe stand-alone, because it refers to the files of the material system.
For more details, please refer to documentation The Modelviewer. :up:
Can someone tell me how to make models, NOT MAPS because I know how to make those. I wanna make like guns and people that I can access and run.
You cannot make new models from scratch using CaWE or one of the other Cafu programs, you need a program that is specifically made for making models to do that, e.g. Blender, 3D Studio Max, Maya, XSI, etc.

Cafu can directly import models in ase, mdl (Half-Life 1), lwo (Lightwave object) and md5 (Doom 3) model file formats.
Additional documentation is at here.

However, we're currently working on improving the situation:
The upcoming Model Editor is supposed to make importing much easier than it currently is, support even more file formats, you can assign and edit materials right in the editor, assign GUIs and other Cafu specials conveniently, and finally save the whole thing in a single file.
Creating the mesh itself and related animations however will still require a 3D modelling program such as those mentioned above.

Work on this very Model Editor is currently in progress, see http://trac.cafu.de/timeline for an overview, revisions 75, 71, 60 ... 52 explicitly address it. To be continued, and any help is welcome! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten