Segmentation fault in CaWE (Linux)

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Shytan
Segmentation fault in CaWE (Linux)

Post by Shytan » 2010-09-03, 16:02

Hello everyone.

Downloaded the latest stable release for Linux. The demos work fine, but when I try to run the World Editor, its main window splashes for a moment, then disappears with the console segm fault message.

Please can anyone tell me if it's fixable or, at least, where to look for the solution.

I got Ubuntu 10.04 32bit (Gnome environment) running on a laptop with a dual-core Pentium and an Intel videocard (maybe that's the cause)...
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Segmentation fault in CaWE (Linux)

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-03, 16:26

Hi Shytan,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Downloaded the latest stable release for Linux. The demos work fine, but when I try to run the World Editor, its main window splashes for a moment, then disappears with the console segm fault message.
Can you please try the latest development release from Downloads instead?
This release has bugs filed against it, but it should work nonetheless (and especially without GPF).
Best regards,
Carsten
Shytan

Post by Shytan » 2010-09-05, 21:52

Thank you for the advice!

It did help. Compiling took a while, but in the end it all worked well.
Launched CaWE and.. wait a minute... that really looks and behaves like.. Hammer Editor from Valve's SDK! The one I'm so much used to.

So I'd like to thank you again for making it possible to use the world creating tools on Linux. Great job! That's the engine I was looking for.
Shytan

Post by Shytan » 2010-09-06, 00:13

PS...

Regrettably Shift+A dialog doesn't let edit material properties and doesn't even disappear once called. :(
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-06, 01:15

Shytan wrote:Launched CaWE and.. wait a minute... that really looks and behaves like.. Hammer Editor from Valve's SDK!
Yes, long ago the CaWE GUI was intentionally modeled analogous to Hammer, but that is not the goal any more. Today, the design goals are rather to make CaWE more modern, and make the main GUI components (e.g. 3D camera control) respond like - for example - in SketchUp or 3D Studio Max.
So I'd like to thank you again for making it possible to use the world creating tools on Linux. Great job! That's the engine I was looking for.
Nice to hear that, :thanks:
Regrettably Shift+A dialog doesn't let edit material properties and doesn't even disappear once called.
Yes, this is what I meant with the bugs filed against it above. I'll do my best to find some time to look into it asap, but if you can help, any effort would much be welcome!
Best regards,
Carsten