Cafu Engine Startup Error

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Carsten
Site Admin
Re: Cafu Engine Startup Error

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-13, 20:16

rtdds wrote:Ok, I found the problem, thank you.
I had forgotten that I had installed Blender and with Python 6.x.x, after I had uninstalled it, and changed the "CompilerSetup.py" because I had installed visual studio 2010 express and the automatic function had set this as default. So I had to change it to vc# 2008 express.
Good to hear that it works now! :D
(You surely meant Python 2.6.x, did you?)
But now there is an other problem after the long time of compiling:
When I start the compiled "Cafu.exe", I got an Messagebox-Error:
"Could not find a renderer that is supportet on your System"
Did the compile proceed properly and succeed completely? I.e., if you run scons again, does it report everything build ("... is up to date")?
If so, please create a console log as before:

Code: Select all

Cafu.exe -log:console.txt
Best regards,
Carsten
rtdds

Post by rtdds » 2010-11-13, 20:25

Yes, of course I mean 2.6.x :cheesy:
So, if I run scons again everything is right while the compiling-process and the message "..is up to date" is also there.

The following is the Command-Line-Output for starting "Cafu.exe":

Cafu Engine, Nov 13 2010
cannot open config.lua: No such file or directory
Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/DeathMatch/Textures/TechDemo.zip
Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip

Scanning cwd for all available renderers...
Scanning Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/release/MaterialSystem for all available renderers...
No renderer qualified.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-13, 20:41

What is in Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/release/MaterialSystem?
Are you running Cafu.exe from the proper directory (as shown in item "3." at Running the new programs)?
Best regards,
Carsten
rtdds

Post by rtdds » 2010-11-13, 20:59

Oh dammed!
ok, I get the Render-Error if I run from the "/build/win32/vc9/x86/release/Ca3DE/" as Working Directory.
If I run it from the Source-Directory "(as shown in item "3." at Running the new programs)" then I get the same errors as I run it from the Binary Version of Cafu Engine. (see post 1)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-13, 21:18

Ah, ok.
And now please try the debug version instead (ideally, with console log again, and if you happen to use Subversion, please run an update as well).

If you have a just-in-time (JIT, or "post-mortem") debugger installed, it should get right right into the place where the crash occurred.

If you have Express Editions of the VC++ compilers, and thus no JIT debugger installed, you might want to get WinDbg that is part of the Windows Debugging Tools: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ ... fault.mspx

When you run this once from the command line as

windbg -I
(note the capital I), WinDbg is installed as JIT debugger and will open on the next crash.
Best regards,
Carsten
rtdds

Post by rtdds » 2010-11-13, 21:24

Ok, while I am downloading and installing the debuggers, here the Command-Line output of the debuf version:

Cafu Engine, Nov 13 2010
config.lua processed.
Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/DeathMatch/Textures/TechDemo.zip
Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip

Scanning cwd for all available renderers...
Scanning Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/MaterialSystem for all available renderers...
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/MaterialSystem/RendererARBprogs.dll ... SUCCESS - first supported renderer (Pref# 2200).
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/MaterialSystem/RendererCgARB1.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 2100).
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/MaterialSystem/RendererCgNV2X.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 2000).
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/MaterialSystem/RendererNull.dll ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12.dll ... 
Libs\MaterialSystem\RendererOpenGL12\RendererImpl.cpp (92): Entering RendererImplT::IsSupported().
Libs\MaterialSystem\RendererOpenGL12\RendererImpl.cpp (108): GL_VERSION string is "3.3.0".
Libs\MaterialSystem\RendererOpenGL12\RendererImpl.cpp (116): GL_ARB_multitexture_AVAIL==1.
SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 1000).
Reloading previously auto-selected renderer Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/MaterialSystem/RendererARBprogs.dll ...

Scanning cwd for all available sound systems...
Scanning Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/SoundSystem for all available sound systems...
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/SoundSystem/SoundSysFMOD3.dll ... SUCCESS - first supported sound system (Pref# 1000).
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/SoundSystem/SoundSysNull.dll ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/SoundSystem/SoundSysOpenAL.dll ... SUCCESS - higher preference sound system (Pref# 1500).
Reloading previously auto-selected sound system Libs/build/win32/vc9/x86/debug/SoundSystem/SoundSysOpenAL.dll ...
EDIT: Now I have installed windbg and setup it as Postmortem Debugger with "windbg -I"
But when I am running the Cafu.exe and it crashes, nothing changed, for example the Command-Line Output or that windbg starts.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-14, 03:28

Ok, the log indicates that the problem is neither with the material nor the sound system...

Did WinDbg report that is successfully installed itself as JIT debugger after you ran windbg -I?
Did you try re-booting after that?
Best regards,
Carsten
rtdds

Post by rtdds » 2010-11-14, 12:58

So the log doesent show us the error?

I hope I dont missunderstanding you. The following things have I done:
1. Installing the debugging tools
2. Run "windbg -I" from the Command-Line
-> Windbg starts and I get the messagebox "Windbg was successfully installed
as the default postmortem debugger."
3. Reboot the Computer
4. Compile the Cafu-Engine-Source again
5. Run the debug-Version with the Command-Line-Command:
"build\win32\vc9\x86\debug\Ca3DE\Cafu.exe -log:console.txt"

The same errors like post 1 and no windbg starts or the "console.txt" has got other informations
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-14, 15:18

Hmmm. Your steps look right, and the console log doesn't show the error. I don't know why WinDbg doesn't start when the program crashes, but there is always the option to run Cafu.exe under debugger control manually:
  1. Open WinDbg, then pick menu File - Open Executable (Ctrl+E), and pick build\win32\vc9\x86\debug\Ca3DE\Cafu.exe.
  2. Note that the "Open" dialog also has fields to enter the working directory, where you should enter the absolute path to the top-level directory, e.g. D:\Dev\Cafu-src-r174 or whatever is right for you. This step is unfortunately a bit error prone, so make sure there are no typos.
    The parameters are optional, you don't need to specify any, but -noFS may help as it prevents the display resolution from changing.
  3. Click menu Debug - Go (F5)
    (if you're on a 64-bit machine and see a first chance exception of WOW64, just press F5 again).
  4. The program should start, and when the crash occurs, WinDbg will tell you.
  5. Then, in WinDbg, open the windows with the local variables (View - Locals (Alt+3)) and the call stack (View - Call Stack (Alt+6)).
  6. Take a screenshot, or right click in the title bar of the call stack window, and pick "copy stack to clipboard". Then post here please.
Best regards,
Carsten
rtdds

Post by rtdds » 2010-11-14, 15:40

It seems not to be good for clearing this error:

Nothing was in the Local-Variables-Window.
And only the following was in the Call-Stack-Window:

Retrieving information...
But I see an error in the Command-Window:

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-14, 15:52

rtdds wrote:Nothing was in the Local-Variables-Window.
That's ok, this window is updated when you click on a frame (function) in the call stack window.
And only the following was in the Call-Stack-Window:

Retrieving information...
Did you wait a while?
As the message says, this may take a moment.
But I see an error in the Command-Window:

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
Yes, it's a problem, but (for now) this is not relevant.
Best regards,
Carsten
rtdds

Post by rtdds » 2010-11-14, 15:54

Oh, ok Stack-window befor Debugging:

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
ntdll!DbgBreakPoint
ntdll!RtlLookupElementGenericTable+0x80
ntdll!KiUserApcDispatcher+0x7
And now, I let run the debugger about one hour, so I hope, when I am back to the computer the debugger is ready.
PS: I think it is stopping while the first error-messagebox
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-14, 16:11

rtdds wrote:Oh, ok Stack-window befor Debugging:
Before? Hm, no, we need the call stack at the point of the crash.
And now, I let run the debugger about one hour, so I hope, when I am back to the computer the debugger is ready.
PS: I think it is stopping while the first error-messagebox
Yes, and then you should see the call-stack in the window. Also check the windows with the threads (Alt+9). If there are multiple, click through them: The call stack window will update.

Alternatively or additionally, is there I chance I might access your machine via a Windows Remote Desktop connection, or (even easier) TeamViewer?

Right now, I have a little time (about one hour), and during that I'm also at irc://quakenet/ca3de
Best regards,
Carsten
rtdds

Post by rtdds » 2010-11-14, 17:09

So, after I have clicked onto the three error-messageboxes and so the engine exits, the following things are in the Stack-Calls-Window:

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32!ExitProcess+0x14
Cafu!__crtExitProcess+0x1b
Cafu!doexit+0x1e4
Cafu!exit+0x12
Cafu!__tmainCRTStartup+0x178
Cafu!WinMainCRTStartup+0xf
kernel32!RegisterWaitForInputIdle+0x49
PS: Only after I clicked the messageboxes, something is in the Stack-Calls-Window.
Befor ist only the message "Retrieving informations..."

PS2: Have you got at another moment time? So prehabs we can do this with any Remote-Control-Application?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-14, 17:18

Sure. Do you know TeamViewer? It's the simplest.
If you want, just send me your computer ID and password via private message or email, I'll then connect to yours.
Best regards,
Carsten