Problems with the collisions

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Scorphame
Problems with the collisions

Post by Scorphame » 2011-01-22, 06:56

Hello people... I find this some time ago (when I recorded a little demo of the first map that i was using for my project) but now I decide to post it for a little solution.

I guess that is a problem with the collision or the model (This bug appear with all weapons except the grenades)

I show you a image:

I'll hope that this is a Model bug and not a collision bug.

BTW Carsten: I need modelers... Do you guess that the people who helps to you with these models can help me with a collaboration?
Simón Carreño AKA Scorphame.
Leader & Game Designer at HeXentic Games
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Problems with the collisions

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-23, 12:09

Scorphame wrote:I'll hope that this is a Model bug and not a collision bug.
It's neither, it's a graphical rendering issue. :cheesy:

The problem is that the weapon is larger than the players bounding-box. Thus, when the bounding-box is very close to a wall, the weapon extends into the wall as seen in the above image.

The problem is that there is no single, clear solution to the problem:
  • We could increase the dimensions of the players bounding-box, but then he would require more space than is necessary and natural when not carrying a weapon.
  • We could always render the weapon "on top" of the wall. This however leads to somewhat unnatural code and requires careful considerations of the side effects. For example, regarding stencil shadows the weapon is a world element like anything else, I'd be very hesitant to change that. (This one might turn out to be a "dirty", be nevertheless the "best" compromise though.)
  • We could restrict player movement to avoid the weapon disappear in the wall, e.g. forbid rotation if that would move the weapon into the wall.
  • There are possibly more solutions to this problem...
BTW Carsten: I need modelers... Do you guess that the people who helps to you with these models can help me with a collaboration?
Well, I don't know. These models are very old, and I don't know if those who made them (at least the bulk of them) are still around. Kai is, but I don't know if he's available.
Best you ask around in the forum, but be aware that you might find a weak spot here.
(I really hope that modelling-related things will generally get (much) better with the Model Editor that we're currently working on!)
Best regards,
Carsten