CaWE-run does not run (Ubuntu 10.10)

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Post Reply
Wendigo
Posts: 2
Joined: 2011-04-15, 20:33
Location: Germany

CaWE-run does not run (Ubuntu 10.10)

Post by Wendigo » 2011-04-15, 20:52

Hello community,
I have a problem running the World Editor on Ubuntu 10.10. (June 2009 Release - Ca3DE-9.06-linux-i686.tar.gz)
When i run "CaWE-run" the following error appears and the Window closes immediately:
Zeile 3: 3627 Speicherzugriffsfehler ./CaWE-bin
The Engine itself runs fine.

My System:
2.4 GHz Dualcore
2GB RAM
GeForce 9800GTS
Ubuntu 10.10 (32bit)

EDIT:
I downloaded the source version and at compilation this error appeared:
ExtLibs/openal-soft/Alc/alsa.c:33: fatal error: alsa/asoundlib.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scons: *** [ExtLibs/openal-soft/build/linux2/g++/release/Alc/alsa.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
Maybe there is a connection?


Thx for your help :)
User avatar
Carsten
Site Admin
Posts: 2169
Joined: 2004-08-19, 13:46
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: CaWE-run does not run (Ubuntu 10.10)

Post by Carsten » 2011-04-15, 22:47

Hi Wendigo,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Wendigo wrote:I have a problem running the World Editor on Ubuntu 10.10. (June 2009 Release - Ca3DE-9.06-linux-i686.tar.gz)

When i run "CaWE-run" the following error appears and the Window closes immediately:
Zeile 3: 3627 Speicherzugriffsfehler ./CaWE-bin
Yes, using a newer version such as the latest source code is recommended and the preferred solution.
I downloaded the source version and at compilation this error appeared:
ExtLibs/openal-soft/Alc/alsa.c:33: fatal error: alsa/asoundlib.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scons: *** [ExtLibs/openal-soft/build/linux2/g++/release/Alc/alsa.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
Maybe there is a connection?
I don't think that there is a connection between this error and the one above, but this one sounds like you have not yet installed all the packages listed at Linux Packages.
Could you please check that especially package libasound2-dev is installed on your system?

:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Wendigo
Posts: 2
Joined: 2011-04-15, 20:33
Location: Germany

Re: CaWE-run does not run (Ubuntu 10.10)

Post by Wendigo » 2011-04-17, 19:14

Carsten wrote: Could you please check that especially package libasound2-dev is installed on your system?
Thanks for the quick reply, you were right! "libasound2-dev" was missing. After installation i could compile the sourcecode. :)

There is one thing about the documentation i did not really understand:
Copy the programs of the platform, compiler and build variant of your choice from Cafu/build/$platform/$compiler/$variant/… directly into the Cafu directory. This is what we do at CFS for the prepackaged binary releases, as end-users can then simply and directly double-click each executable in the Windows Explorer.
Where exactly should i copy the content of "home/user/Cafu/build/linux2/g++/release/"?
Am i supposed to merge the directories prior to compilation with the compilated files/directories?
If so, do i afterwards run cafu out of the subdirectory (userhome = cwd)

Code: Select all

bash Cafu/Ca3DE/Cafu
bash Cafu/CaWE/CaWE
The directory structure of the "Release - Download version" looks quite different.
There is a "Ca3DE-bin" and "CaWE-bin" file in the Cafu-root directory which is run by a bash-script.

Sorry for the inconvenience. ^^
User avatar
Carsten
Site Admin
Posts: 2169
Joined: 2004-08-19, 13:46
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: CaWE-run does not run (Ubuntu 10.10)

Post by Carsten » 2011-04-18, 08:43

Wendigo wrote:There is one thing about the documentation i did not really understand:
Copy the programs of the platform, compiler and build variant of your choice from Cafu/build/$platform/$compiler/$variant/… directly into the Cafu directory. This is what we do at CFS for the prepackaged binary releases, as end-users can then simply and directly double-click each executable in the Windows Explorer.
Where exactly should i copy the content of "home/user/Cafu/build/linux2/g++/release/"?
You can call the newly compiled programs directly from working directory Cafu as explained at point "3." in Running the new Programs, or copy the same files to the working directory Cafu first, then run them from there. Roughly (untested):

Code: Select all

$ pwd
/home/carsten/dev/Cafu
$ cp build/linux2/g++/release/Ca3DE/Cafu .
$ ./Cafu
But if you feel comfortable with "3.", I'd just recommend to use this one, because then it's much easier to switch between debug and release builds, run the latest binary after a source code change, etc. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests