Few basic questions

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Snaphaan
Few basic questions

Post by Snaphaan » 2011-07-05, 21:24

Hi!

I have finally settled on the fact that if I want my dream game to be realized I need to learn some coding - even if it's just scripting (for now).

I like this engine a LOT but I need a little guidance with the scripting aspects. I'm a freelance graphic designer with a strong inclination to 3D but (stereotypically) almost zero code knowledge except a few basic flash interface designs.

1) How far would Lua scripting be able to take me before I actually need to know C++?

2) What would be the best way to approach Lua in the Cafu engine? Should I rather spend some time away studying up some books and then get back to the engine or should I rather sit with a book on my lap while getting my fingers busy as soon as possible.

3) Are there any FPS-like RPG mods (if I can call it that) or basic game structures (like FPS, Top-down, Side-Scroll, 3rd Person) available that can be used as a starting point?

Thank your for your time! :cheesy:
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Few basic questions

Post by Carsten » 2011-07-06, 14:37

Hi Snaphaan,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Snaphaan wrote:1) How far would Lua scripting be able to take me before I actually need to know C++?
That question is really hard to answer. Technically, you need C++ whenever you hit the limits of the scripting API.
Although not exactly matching your question, you might find the answer to Is Cafu right for our game of genre "..."? helpful, and I'd recommend that you initially at least browse the (scripting) documentation. That is, start with the general documentation, then proceed to the scripting API docs as you go.
2) What would be the best way to approach Lua in the Cafu engine? Should I rather spend some time away studying up some books and then get back to the engine or should I rather sit with a book on my lap while getting my fingers busy as soon as possible.
I'd recommend to both read some documentation about Lua, ideally the "Programming in Lua" book, and as well to study the scripting examples that come with Cafu.
3) Are there any FPS-like RPG mods (if I can call it that) or basic game structures (like FPS, Top-down, Side-Scroll, 3rd Person) available that can be used as a starting point?
Cafu ships with the "DeathMatch" example MOD whose GUIs, Maps, etc. serve as examples for scripting.

Generally, make sure to check out the links mentioned at http://api.cafu.de/scripting/ and don't hesitate to ask when you have further questions! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten