very Basic Starter Question

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
navaidfarooqui
very Basic Starter Question

Post by navaidfarooqui » 2011-07-30, 03:39

Hello

I am the team lead of my BS Computer Science final year project team. We are planning to develop a MMO app as our project We are on the analysis phase of the project. The app would be similar to Second Life but will be limited in its functionality. Though what we will be needing in the app is the dynamic data from any particular database. Technically what we want is to control the items and buildings of the environment through the database rather than doing it from the code. Is this possible in Cafu? As we are very new to this stuff but so determined to learn and work it out I don't know if its the same as what they call Persistent World in MMOs. Anyway my real question is that is it possible?

Hope to hear from you guys soon

Regards,

Navaid Ahmed Farooqui
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: very Basic Starter Question

Post by Carsten » 2011-07-30, 22:17

Hi Navaid,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
navaidfarooqui wrote:Though what we will be needing in the app is the dynamic data from any particular database. Technically what we want is to control the items and buildings of the environment through the database rather than doing it from the code. Is this possible in Cafu?
I'm not entirely sure if I understand your question and your goals, at least from a technical point of view:
The Cafu network model is based on a central, authoritative server that controls the game state that in turn is sync'ed with the clients.
In order to keep the network traffic related to syncing at a minimum, both the server and all clients load the same base map when the level is initialized.

It is certainly possible to make the existing code as flexible as it needs to be to meet your requirements (if it doesn't already), but it's difficult to provide more details without having learned more about what exactly you would like to achieve.

Can you provide more information, such as an example or a more detailed description of your desired goals?
Best regards,
Carsten
navaidfarooqui

Post by navaidfarooqui » 2011-07-31, 00:17

hmmm. ok i think its better if i explain you the thing we want to create. We want to develop an application where CLIENT1 can enter some information in some database (MySQL , MSSQL) and the SYSTEM (Server) creates an specific object (in Virtual World) related to that information

Example :-
1. Client1 enters (Brown Box) in some database
2. System creates a brown coloured box in the Virtual World
3. Client3 can interact with that Box

so in short what i really want technically is creating something in my virtual world by reading the info inside the database

My Question is :
Does Cafu supports reading an external database in order to create virtual objects in the virtual world in realtime?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-07-31, 09:32

navaidfarooqui wrote:My Question is :
Does Cafu supports reading an external database in order to create virtual objects in the virtual world in realtime?
At this time, no.

I would imagine however that writing custom code for adding such support is feasible with reasonable effort.

(To be more precise, I wonder if instead of access to an external database like MySQL or Oracle, it would be better to have a client (player) with extended privileges instead, that would walk the virtual world, and create virtual objects while being "inside" the game? That approach would at least come with an inherent "user interface" that I can imagine. ;-) (Or do you intend to edit a database in table-style, entering the coordinates and other details of virtual objects by hand, as rows of numbers?))
Best regards,
Carsten