Single player mod

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
atihinen
Single player mod

Post by atihinen » 2011-08-21, 02:00

Hi!

I'm really new to the cafu engine. But I've basic skills in c/c++ etc (having bachelor's degree in IT/CS).

I've chosen cafu for my project because it seemed the best!

My problem is that I haven't find any info about NPC AI.

I'm making single player/co-op mod so it really needs some enemy AI because if you just walk the map and kill all standing enemies it really isn't any fun.

Is it possible to make enemy AI or change it somehow?

Thanks for the advance!
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Single player mod

Post by Carsten » 2011-08-21, 14:51

Hi atihinen,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
atihinen wrote:My problem is that I haven't find any info about NPC AI.

I'm making single player/co-op mod so it really needs some enemy AI because if you just walk the map and kill all standing enemies it really isn't any fun.

Is it possible to make enemy AI or change it somehow?
At this time, there is only very simple AI in Cafu (you may not even call it "intelligence" after all ;-) ), but see the CompanyBot files in the source code for an example for an NPC that just follows the first player entity: This code might serve as an example and basis for implementing more complex AI.

I've not yet come around to implementing a more complex NPC AI, e.g. following some of the material in Mat Buckland's Programming Game AI by Example, but whatever you do, I'd be very happy to assist you wherever possible, so please let me know if you have additional questions!
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
atihinen

Re: Single player mod

Post by atihinen » 2011-08-23, 15:56

Ah.. I've to check that one out :) Thank you!